How to determine max HP rating for boat

Trackbuild

Recruit
I have a 1995 Larson 280 cabrio with twin 5.0l engines rated at 200hp each. I'm swapping them out for vortex 5.7l with 330hp each. I'm sure I will be chasing which props work best all next summer, but I would like to know that I'm not over powering the hull design by to much.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hp ratings only apply to outboards. You can put twin 1650hp motors in there if you want

Trackbuild

Recruit
Thanks, I kept seeing people writing words of caution about exceeding HP rating. Boat did just over 40 with 4 big guys in it with full fuel. I would love to hit 50 even just when conditions are right once in a blue moon.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
remember, that boat is a cruiser, not a go-fast boat.

also, being a 1995, make sure your motor mounts, stringers, buklheads, and transom are rot free.

Trackbuild

Recruit
Yeah thanks Scott, I had it surveyed and he said it was one of the dryest bilges he has seen. We spent allot of time in that area checking it out.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I say, go nuts and build a pair of 383 strokers

Trackbuild

Recruit
Believe me I was thinking of 383's, I have alpha out drives and was thinking that they might not like that much torque. Any experience with that combo?

Bondo

Staff member
Believe me I was thinking of 383's, I have alpha out drives and was thinking that they might not like that much torque. Any experience with that combo?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... If yer gentle with the throttles, that could last a long, long time,....

Get abusive with the throttles, 'n you'll be buyin' new drives,.....