Year for changes related to ethanol?

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm hoping to buy a new-to-me boat next year. I hope to buy something with at least a 300 HP 5.7 if not a big block.I typically run non-ethanol gas but it may get hard to find in the future. Were there any year(s) that Merc. or Volvo made any significant changes to their engines and systems to better handle ethanol? I'm thinking specifically about hoses, pump, o-rings, seals, etc. that may have been upgraded. I'm mainly looking at boats 5 to 8 years old but if there is a year or years that a change like this occurred I'd like to take it into account.
Thanks for your help.

alldodge

Staff member
Ethanol started in the late 1970's, so buying a boat in the 90's or later will have no issue with the additive.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
It's a non issue, worry about other things.

+1. Worries about ethanol are at the end of the list of importance imo. Even though it's probably unnecessary, if you are worried put some ethanol treatment in the tank when you gas up

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
Good advice. However if you are really worried about this check to see if the boat's fuel system has the latest hose, USCG type A1-15. Those meet all the new requirements for ethanol and environmental concerns. Find out what kind of tanks, metal plastic, and who made it. Ask if there have been any issues with the tanks, or have they been replaced. Newer plastic tanks are more resistant to ethanol (since about the late 90's). Aluminum tanks can have corrosion problems if stored over the winter with ethanol fuels, so store the boat with tanks empty. Otherwise go for it. Find yourself something nice.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
He's looking for a 5-8 year old boat, so he shouldn't see issues with anything ethanol related.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I'm hoping to buy a new-to-me boat next year. I hope to buy something with at least a 300 HP 5.7 if not a big block.I typically run non-ethanol gas but it may get hard to find in the future. Were there any year(s) that Merc. or Volvo made any significant changes to their engines and systems to better handle ethanol?
I ran E10 in my previous boat for many years (1966 Mark Twain 150 Mercruiser) no problems.

It's all that my 1987 FourWinns was run on (since new) when it had the 460 OMG King Kobra until I installed the 1997 Mercruiser 454/Bravo in 2006. I have only used the cheapest E10 I can find since.........and so far, no problems....and I usually only just run the tank low for it's 10 month sit until the next Summer and fill it up.

No problems....

SO I would agree with everyone above!

Don't worry about it!

73/Rick

Oh, My 87 Four Winns also has an aluminum 44 gallon tank. When I removed it at approx 20 years of age (the tank not me!!) I found NO corrosion!

jkust

Rear Admiral
300 HP 5.7 is a 2002 or later engine. No issues with E10 I suppose other than the lower BTU's. I say get a big block whenever possible.

KD4UPL

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like there's no reason to consider one year over the other in the modern era. I'll keep dreaming all winter of a new big block.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
It's when you have used straight gas for a long time and then changed to E10 that problems can develop (any varnish in the tank can get cleaned out by the alcohol and this can clog fuel filters). We had the switch over in 2004 and there were problems (reddish gunk in fuel filters, clogged/corroded anti siphon valves).
If you start with it and stick with it you may be better off.
Id be mor concerned about avoiding a cat converter (after 2008) engine due to the extremely high cost of exhaust manifold replacement and tbe nuisance of check engine lights like modern cars.

KD4UPL

Well, that is an interesting point. Did all sterndrives have a cat after 2008? Most of them? Which ones? etc.
I'm finding I can't really afford the size boat I want much newer than about an '08 anyway. That may be an incentive to stay older than that.