Engine Oil change..Is it Ok to use a Fram filter and regular motor oil? JUST OIL TYPE

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Mercruiser doesn't make their oil filters. They are private branded.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I myself prefer Baldwin Filters. They appear to be a well made product. Generally speaking, the manufacturer of the engine, usually market good quality products, often superior to many other brands.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Once called Champion Laboratories, Inc. the company is now labeled FRAM Filtration a the registered trademark of FRAM Group IP LLC.
A manufacturer and distributor of filter product brands: Fram, VW, Mobil, STP, TRO, Mopar, K & N, AC/Delco,Champ and Walmart under the Super Tech brand.

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are there any issues with the by pass pressure settings. I was once told that different manufacturers use different psi values therefore one should always should use the oem filter. Too low could always by pass the filter, too high could block the flow in a clogged filter. That was the theory anyway.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Are there any issues with the by pass pressure settings. I was once told that different manufacturers use different psi values therefore one should always should use the oem filter. Too low could always by pass the filter, too high could block the flow in a clogged filter. That was the theory anyway.

If the oil filter you are looking at states that it meets or exceeds the original manufactures specifications, you're good to go. If you are seriously concerned about any type oil filter, go to this sight and read, and read, and read some more. Everything is there for most oil filters.

http://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/oilfilterstudy.htm