Need to DIY next year- got hosed on winterization

I can't believe how much I got hosed on my winterization this year.

I called around, the place said it would be $240. More than I wanted to pay (the dealership is $190, but was an hour away) so I said sure.

They asked me if I wanted an oil filter replaced too and I said yes, and they asked if I wanted the lower unit oil replaced. I wasn't sure if that was included in my old winterization, but if it wasn't then its been a few years so I said yes.

Final bill? $565.58!

You can bet I'm doing it myself next year, and if I ever can't do it I'm taking it back to the dealer!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
$50 worth of lube and filters, an hour of time.... Vs $565

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Agreed! I could never believe the prices they charge, robbery. Not to mention I've seen many "marina maintained" boats, they are not pretty and it's amazing what they rig together. I'd take a boat maintained by an owner who actually cares and does good DIY work over a marina maintained boat any day.

Plenty of great knowledge within this community. Once you do the process once, it's like cake the next time. Good luck.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A good dealer more than changes oil when doing a 'winterize' and it takes more than to do an I/O properly

Locates boat and brings to service bay
Untarps
Adds stabilizer to fuel
Runs engine to operating temp(ensure thin oil)
Drains oil, replaces filter, refills oil
Checks power steering fluid
Inspect prop and propshaft for damage
Drains gear oil, does a pressure test on gearcase if any trace of water in oil
Refills gearcase
Removes outdrive to inspect U-joints, gimbal bearing, and rubber flex bellows for water intrusion
Checks alignment
Greases U-joins if it has grease fittings
Greases driveshaft and reinstalls outdrive
Runs engine and fogs engine with storage oil
Drains water from block, manifolds, raw water pumps, if requested runs anti freeze thru block
Removes battery and inspects and charges if necessary, returns battery to customer at service counter when boat is picked up
Places all drain plus in bag with key and ties it to steering wheel
Retarps boat and returns it to yard

I know I missed a couple of items, like getting the parts and oil from inventory, disposal of old oil, the storage containers are not the pan or bottle used in removing it from the engine. Part of the job so it's billable time.
Don't forget the overhead of Non Productive Management which have to be paid

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Jimbo pretty much nailed it. At our shop, the form you fill out is pretty specific on what you want done. If all you check is winterize, that's all you get, no oil change, no lower unit service, or anything else. If you check the right stuff, you get the whole service package. I know some shops just call the extra serve part of the process, but we like to have the owners decide what they want, and know that is what they are getting for their money. No surprises. If we do find an issue, we call them and let them know, and how much it'll cost to repair, and let them decide what they want. Again no surprises.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yes Jimbo did pretty much cover it all...but I still do that myself in less than 4 hours. I do leave my outdrive off thru the winter and reinstall in the spring but I also drain the porta pot, remove all the boats electronics and store them inside and also service the kicker motor and trailer bearings to be sure no water is in there. All in less than 4 hrs...so why are they charging that kind of a rate? I work in a machine shop with a million dollars worth of cnc and other hi-tech equipment and our people are paid better than the marina folks are paid but we are not allowed to charge that kind of money for our service or we would have no customers. I don't see why people pay that kind of money for their boat and auto care...Guess I was born cheap!

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Airshot, a lot of the cost is due to it being a seasonal business in most parts of the country. It isn't exactly fair to compare the cost to what a garage charges for auto work. IMO, the fair comparison is from (boat) shop to shop in the same area.

That said, as of last spring I'm doing all the maintenance myself but I have to factor in my time (I work really, really slow) and certain tools I had to buy or build. An outdrive jack (I modified a HF motrorcycle jack) cost me $140., pressure tester $30.00, engine oil 'sucker' $70., alignment tool and a couple odds and ends brought it to $250-300. before I started work.

2 years ago, a very good and reasonable mobile mechanic I use (he still shrink-wraps the boat) R & R'd the drives, pressure tested them and replaced the impellers and lube. Cost was $350. per drive including new mounting gaskets and such. This year I'll be re-doing that (but I'm also replacing the pump housings and wear plates) at about $100 per. To mimic what he did would run about $60. per drive. If I consider my labor to be free and add in $50. to amortize my tools cost over 5 years, it's about 1/5 the cost.

Definitely worth DIYing, as long as you have the time, tools and facility to do so.
I

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I think it just comes down to how Handy you are, 'n how many toys, errr, Tools ya think ya need in the garage,....

I gotta admit, I'm pretty handy, 'n always seem to have a tool in my hand, even when on vacation,....... :D

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
A good dealer more than changes oil when doing a 'winterize' and it takes more than to do an I/O properly

I've yet to find a 'good dealer.' Think its kinda like big foot... Lots of people talk about him but no one has actually seen him.

Im with enginesill, some of the nicest equipment comes from an owner that enjoys doing things correct themselves. That or you have so much money you just buy new things every 2 years so your equipment is always nice...

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
In my neck of the woods there is a huge difference between a marina and a dealership. At the marina, maintenance, repair, winterization, etc., are usually services provided by the employees of the marina to the clients of the marina - slip owners and renters - for a fee. These folks are usually reasonably knowledgeable, but not necessarily factory trained. Slip rental, docking, fuel, pump outs, dock maintenance, and security are the main business of the marina. On the other hand, the dealership performs warranty work, sells parts and service for the brands they carry in the showroom. Their mechanics are factory trained and certified. They may offer some value added services, such as winterization, but not much more than that.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Like hiring a handyman instead of an Electrician and Plumber to wire and pipe your house. Anybody can tighten wires and glue pipe, but do they know and understand the Associated Codes....