Temperature and freezing.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
We had a guy bring in his boat for winterizing 2 weeks ago. It only got cold enough for one evening, say about 12 hours below 32 deg. Block busted.......
We have had unseasonably warm weather, just now it's dropping and snowing, all we had was rain before.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
When I ride my bicycle in the winter, I see tremendous temp swings when I go through a valley. Might be 30? in a valley and get out of it and it jumps to 40?.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Bondo, I was from northern WI. along with my mentor. And yes, there were a lot of cold days and nights.

Bondo

Staff member
Bondo, I was from northern WI. along with my mentor. And yes, there were a lot of cold days and nights.

Ayuh,.... I can relate to that, bein' a Maineiac, from Old Town Maine,.....

The mentor that told me this, Fred was a native Northern NY'er from Lewis county,....

Both areas see temps well below Zer0 most every year,...

Back in the late '70s, early '80s, I was truckin' shore to shore, 'n ventured into northern Wisconsin quite often,...
Delivered aluminum to Antigo many, many times,...
My favorite place in our whole country to get stuck for a weekend was Milwaukee,...
Nearly died when I fell asleep at the wheel, 'tween Milwaukee, 'n Green Bay one night,....

Middle of the winter, colder than 'ell, most of that hi-way is lonely, ya can't even see the southbound side,....
Tried everything to stay awake, rolled the window down, cranked up the tunes, 'n still dozed off,....

Awoke to nothin' but WHITE in the windshield,....
With the lean of the truck, I knew I was in the median, when the WHITE subsided, I could see the southbound lanes were merely feet away, so I hammered the throttle, 'n kept goin',....
Of course I was WIDE AWAKE then, 'n needed to find a cross-over,.... no problem,.....
Hammer down, 'n searchin',.... then waayyy up ahead I see a set of headlights, then another, 'n another,....
Then one is passin' the 1st,....
I grabbed the mic, 'n calmly said, "Southbound, I'm in yer left lane",.....
The 3 trucks fell into line, 'n we passed, no other words spoken,....
Within another mile, I found a cross-over, 'n made my way to Green Bay,.....
WIDE AWAKE,....
I crawled into the bunk, 'n died til 7:am the next mornin',....

When I got out of my truck, 'n looked back, the sight scared the 'ell outa me,....
I hauled a covered wagon in those days, 'n the coiled steel wire I was haulin' couldn't be properly chained down, as ya can't get a grab on it,....
When the wagon leaned left, it bent 3/4ers of my side stakes to a 45? angle,....
Good thing I rolled through the median to the other side, If I'd cranked the wheel to get back into the northbound lanes, I'd have surely dumped that entire load of steel all over the hi-way,....