Temperature and freezing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Are you pulling the drain on your intake manifold as well? Not sure if you have TBI or MFI but if you have TBI, you likely have a drain on the intake.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If there was one on the front I would. But I don't so the answer is no

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Altitude has nothing to do with it. The pressure difference in negligible. In fact, if you reduce pressure, the freezing point actually increases but it so slight it's a fraction of a degree.

So the WWII bomber pilots who took water with them on missions and returned with ice for the Officer's Mess were performing magic.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
So the WWII bomber pilots who took water with them on missions and returned with ice for the Officer's Mess were performing magic.
That's because the temperature drops 2?C for every 1000 feet of elevation. If they take off at 15? and go up to 12K feet, they are flying at -9?C. B-29s flew over 30K feet so it was even easier to freeze water in the airplane.

Find a water phase diagram and you can see why the freezing temp doesn't change

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
No Title

Because it is really, really cold at altitude! Take a look at the green line on this chart. Any change in freezing point is negligible, under 1 degree.

photo253882.jpg photo253882.jpg

Pat_220v

Cadet
I have heard of people putting an electric blanket on there motor to prevent freezing to extend their season.

I have seen marine rated electric bilge heaters for sale (120v).

thumpar

Admiral
I have heard of people putting an electric blanket on there motor to prevent freezing to extend their season.

I have seen marine rated electric bilge heaters for sale (120v).
An old fashion light bulb works too. Don't try it with a CFL or LED.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Until the bulb burns out.

And until the power goes out or the circuit breaker opens........

Because it is really, really cold at altitude! Take a look at the green line on this chart. Any change in freezing point is negligible, under 1 degree.

[
I've seen -55C SAT (static air temp) at FL410 (41,000 ft)

thumpar

Admiral
I have a generator setup. Actually tested it yesterday because we had 60mph winds today. I rarely lose power because the powerlines are underground off a main. The house would let me know if the power was out with the UPSs beeping Not that I recommend that over winterizing but with the other devices you have the same problems if the power goes out. Mine is drained and plugs in the same cup holder every year.

89retta

I think what it comes down to. Is that we all have our own ways of winterizing our boats. And none of us end up with cracked blocks which is what matters. So no matter if you if you put antifreeze in or not. Just make sure you properly drain the water out of your block.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I think what it comes down to. Is that we all have our own ways of winterizing our boats. And none of us end up with cracked blocks which is what matters. So no matter if you if you put antifreeze in or not. Just make sure you properly drain the water out of your block.

I would like to clarify that the water is drained first

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
And until the power goes out or the circuit breaker opens........

I've seen -55C SAT (static air temp) at FL410 (41,000 ft)

I've seen -44 out my window at FL20 before! (well, wasn't really FL technically, it was outside my garage door) And the boat was winterized, without antifreeze!

Not directly boat related since my boat is already winterized, but a couple nights ago it got down to 22.1 degrees F. The unwinterized RV survived, no leaks! I was probably very, very close to popping waterlines, I don't want to cut it that close again.

89retta

I've seen -44 out my window at FL20 before! (well, wasn't really FL technically, it was outside my garage door) And the boat was winterized, without antifreeze!

Not directly boat related since my boat is already winterized, but a couple nights ago it got down to 22.1 degrees F. The unwinterized RV survived, no leaks! I was probably very, very close to popping waterlines, I don't want to cut it that close again.

​And that's what I was getting at. I don't think things will freeze solid if the temp drops below freezing for a few hours. We have been getting freezing temps here overnight for awhile now. And my garden hose is not frozen solid. I think it would have to be below freezing for at least 24h for anything to freeze solid

Bondo

Staff member
I think it would have to be below freezing for at least 24h for anything to freeze solid

Ayuh,..... One of my mentors always said it takes 6 hours at 26? to freeze a block solid enough to cause damage,.....

I've never tested this bit of wisdom though,.....

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
​And that's what I was getting at. I don't think things will freeze solid if the temp drops below freezing for a few hours. We have been getting freezing temps here overnight for awhile now. And my garden hose is not frozen solid. I think it would have to be below freezing for at least 24h for anything to freeze solid

below freezing for at least 24 hours is probably way past the point for most areas. In my area day/night temps are 30-50 degrees different, so if I have a daytime high of 32 degrees, nighttime lows are below zero.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Bondo, I had one of my mentors tell me about the 26 * also.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Up in the Great White North(Canada), one winter we had a bottle(plastic) of drinking water sitting in the unattached unheated garage, it was colder than -25c(-13f) for several weeks, the water in the bottle was still liquid well into February. Would I take a chance with my I/O? No way

Bondo

Staff member
Bondo, I had one of my mentors tell me about the 26 * also.

Ayuh,.... Then there's probably alota truth to it,....

I still ain't gonna test the theory with My boat motor,...... ;)