Temperature and freezing.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well for many of us our boating season is over or soon to be. We all know and experience cooler temps at night. What I'm wondering is how long would it take for a block to freeze. Would the temp have to stay below 0 for at least a day or two. Or would it freeze solid if the temp was below 0 at night then above during the day.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I hope to not jinx it, but in my experience, it is ok for it to drop below by a little bit for the night. I would say at least a day but that is a complete guess

airshot

Rear Admiral
Unless the day temp is up around 45-50 degrees then I wouldn't take the chance if your looking at O at night. You can always put a couple 75 watt incadesant bulbs under your motor cover to be safer. A block wont freeze solid if the temp drops to 20 at night then back up to 45 plus during the day but getting down to O is getting a bit scary to me.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Im thinking that 89retta was referring to 0 degrees Celsius. Good tip concerning the 75 watt light bulb if you have concerns. The heat from that lamp will keep her nice and toasty. I guess if it was me I'd winterize if it's gonna be below freezing at night....antifreeze is way cheaper than a cracked block. Glad mine can fit in my semi heated garage. 😎👍🏼

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Why chance it. 5 minutes to drain..... Air doesnt freeze

tpenfield

Staff member
My guess is that it will take the block 14 hours and 37 minutes to freeze :D

Maybe a year or two ago, if I recall correctly, someone had posted some data on the engine bay temp versus the outside temp when the temperature dipped down below the freezing mark ( 0 C ).

A lot has to do with how far below freezing it gets and for how long it stays. Anyway, if you got to -10 C for a day, I think you would be there. If it was more like - 2 C for just overnight, you probably would be fine.

89retta

I just winterized mine last weekend. Just wish I would've covered it up with my winter cover and tarp. Thought I would do that this weekend so I left my snap covers on. And guess what it started snowing Friday night and still is. As for temp its -1 here and getting up to a balmy 2 degrees

89retta

No Title

I know my motor is safe. Just hope the snow doesn't wreck my new snap covers. Anyways Happy Thanksgiving to everyone

Attachments

• photo253627.jpg
    photo253627.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo253628.jpg
    photo253628.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 0

79_banshee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Where you live 89retta I'm in grande prairie Alberta and we got snow this week end as well not as much as you got but an inch or 2.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
As long as you're not going to be using it why chance it.? Take the 15 min it takes to drain it, even if you have to pull the rear seat out or remove the wood bulkheads.

89retta

As long as you're not going to be using it why chance it.? Take the 15 min it takes to drain it, even if you have to pull the rear seat out or remove the wood bulkheads.[/QUOTE

Winterized it last weekend. Drained and filled with antifreeze. I just didn't put my winter cover and tarp on it.

thumpar

Admiral
I think it was Don that wrote 24 for 24 to freeze. Mine was drained and left empty last weekend.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
And Bondo has stated "Air dont freeze" at least a thousand times

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... More like 10 thousand times,...... ;)

89retta

. What I was wondering was how long does the temp have to stay below 0 for the water to freeze solid. Yes air doesn't freeze but one cant be sure he got all the water out either. That's why I like to fill the block up with antifreeze after draining. I would rather spend a few bucks on antifreeze then few grand on a new engine.

thumpar

Admiral
. What I was wondering was how long does the temp have to stay below 0 for the water to freeze solid. Yes air doesn't freeze but one cant be sure he got all the water out either. That's why I like to fill the block up with antifreeze after draining. I would rather spend a few bucks on antifreeze then few grand on a new engine.
Why fill it with something that could freeze? Draining it right gets all the water out.