New Sunbrella Snap-on Covers

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
I recently ordered a new Westland Sunbrella Storage cover. I ordered off a website and the best price I could get was $565.00. It included all the cut-outs for the bimini poles, had the ratchet pulleys. It is as good as my Factory Cover from Cobalt except it's sunbrella in lieu of Sharkskin...and it's Logo Red.

​The downside to towing with it is it rubs on the gunwales just as much as the factory cover. My factory snap-on covers were not able to stay on for travel as the snaps were worn out....

​So, I had new ones made. I thought for a moment about making them myself; however, my schedule is much more full now-a-days. So I had them made by what's considered the best local canvas/upholstery shop. $1,673.26 later (ouch!) I ordered the Cobalt factory snaps directly from Cobalt as I'm weird like that...

​Very happy with the quality of covers...better than factory IMHO!

​~Brett

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
I'm looking at doing the same. That's very close to the estimate I got for my boat too. Will they stay on for a 600 mile, 80 mph trip?

Edit: this should not be in the engine non repair area.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Can you take a picture of the flap open going around the bimini pole? I want another option to the way I do it.

So what thread did they use? All my new projects are using Solarfix which is a teflon thread.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Can you take a picture of the flap open going around the bimini pole? I want another option to the way I do it.

So what thread did they use? All my new projects are using Solarfix which is a teflon thread.

​I forget the name, but it is a marine specific type? He suggested it's the most durable (he's been making boat covers and upholstery since 1971, so he knows his stuff).

​I'll snap a pic and post it up on here shortly...it's the same style as the factory and my Westland storage cover.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
I'm looking at doing the same. That's very close to the estimate I got for my boat too. Will they stay on for a 600 mile, 80 mph trip?

Edit: this should not be in the engine non repair area.

Whether they'll stay on or not over 600miles at 80mph??? I usually run 70mph and even that will be determined. I will say my chris craft had all new homemade covers/snaps and they never came off at any speed...and my wife has a heavy foot!

​Yeah, you're right I read the "non-repair io and inboards part" and totally glanced over the engine repair and maintenance" part.

​MODS: Can you please move to correct forums?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Thanks. So it looks like he sewed on the extension to the side you have flipped up on the right. That's actually how I do it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
BTW...I used to tow with my bimini up like that. I did until I lost one once when a fitting broke. I now lay it down inside the boat when trailering.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
BTW...I used to tow with my bimini up like that. I did until I lost one once when a fitting broke. I now lay it down inside the boat when trailering.
All my fittings and poles are all stainless steel and because of the stabilizers I cannot lay flat. I'm not saying a fitting cannot break, just that this Bimini is almost as strong as a tower. I can hang on it... It's stout.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
All my fittings and poles are all stainless steel and because of the stabilizers I cannot lay flat. I'm not saying a fitting cannot break, just that this Bimini is almost as strong as a tower. I can hang on it... It's stout.
I had a stainless fitting snap....just a warning!

youmansjason

Seaman
I love the double rainbows in your picture. Great shot!

Also, that looks like a pretty steep driveway you have to get the boat up and into the grass? Maybe it's just the angle of the photo?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
You should be storing it with your drive lowered.

​It will be, I haven't climbed in to drop it yet. Hasn't been in the water since I replaced the gimbal bearing (and seal), bellows and trim cylinders and lines...I knew someone would catch that! ;)

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
I love the double rainbows in your picture. Great shot!

Also, that looks like a pretty steep driveway you have to get the boat up and into the grass? Maybe it's just the angle of the photo?

​It is fairly steep; however, back the boat in at a angle and slide it in around the garage. It takes some good finagling to get it around the house and inside of a large maple tree.