Is this a decent boat for the money?

Buickgsman

Seaman
Hi all, I am fairly new to the boating scene. I had a boat that needed some work and I didn't seem to want to do it so I have since moved on. I am looking at a 1994 Four Winns 195 Sundowner. It has been looked at by a boat mechanic and is in good shape. They do not inspect the hull other than for obvious defects. The boat has 1900 hours on it and has a 5.0 ford injected engine. The outdrive is an OMC Cobra. It passed the mechancel inspection with flying colors and it is a clean boat. I've read that the cobra outdrive is not the best choice. I'm really just looking for a boat that will last for several years with basic maintenance. It is in the 5k price range. I'd probably try to lowball my first offer. Any feelings on this idea?

kenk63

Cadet
you might want to pay a surveyor to check out the boat, unless you know the previous owner, spend $300 now or thousands later

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would pass simply for the 4 facts:

its a 23 year old boat, pretty sure you will have rot somewhere
its powered by Ford (havent been in marine industry for 20 years)
its an OMC drive (company went out of business December 2000)
1900 hours is a bit on the high end

However if you love it, buy it. I wouldnt offer more than $1500 for it because that is what i could get parting it out.

Buickgsman

Seaman
These are all good points and what I was looking for. They are asking 6k for it but I know they would take 5k. I was thinking of offering 4k. But if I decide to make an offer I might go 3k based on these points. No way would they go 1500. One thing I really like about this boat is that the sides of the hull are pretty tall and I don't feel like a giant in the boat. Are there any other boat with better drives that have tall hull walls in the 5k price range? I simply can't afford anything more.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
plenty of boats with high gunwales, however in the 5k range, your at the point of buying project boats (read the stories in the restoration forum). I was lucky, in the right place at the right time for my current boat. picked it up for a bit less than your budget. it did need to get the transom and motor mounts replaced (wet, not rotten)

for your price, I would look for an older starcraft with an outboard, change the transom wood (weekend job) and use the boat often and step up when your budget allows.

tpenfield

Staff member
Run Forrest, run . . .

I would not go near that boat. Other opinions may vary. :)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
1994 Four Winns 195 Sundowner..........has 1900 hours on it and has a 5.0 ford injected engine. The outdrive is an OMC Cobra.

Howdy,

Well, there's a few things that I would want to know about this boat before I would make any offer Is the drive a dog-clutch Cobra or is it a Cone-clutch SX type drive and are the EFI and electronic ignition components available?

Actually, even though the dog-clutch drive is literally out of the late 80's, adjusted properly, they're "ok" .............. (with the SX being the much more desirable drive)

The "bad" thing here is certain 90's era Ford EFI and electronic ignition systems.

The ignition and EFI modules for some of these older Ford engines are either no longer available or if one is still sitting on a shelf someplace, the seller wants an incredibly high price for it.

Many people with those certain Ford powered EFI engines from the 90's eventually end up replacing the electronic ignition with a modern (marine type) distributor and the EFI with a carburetor because the parts to fix it cost more money than the boat cost itself!! (also indicating that the boat buyer didn't spend much on the boat to begin with)

So. determine the actual model number of the engine and drive..............it could be any of the following which for 94, was the rather excellent Cobra (Volvo) SX drive

50FACPMDA 1994
50FACPMDM 1994
50FAGPMDA 1994
50FAGPMDM 1994

A 5.0L OMC engine and drive system in any 1994 boat could also be one of the following:

50FAPLJVB 1993
50FAPLJVN 1993
50FAPRJVB 1993
50FAPRJVN 1993

If the engine and drive is one of the 93 models, it will likely be a dog-clutch drive. Not awful, but a dog-clutch Cobra with 1900hrs on it might need a rebuild.

Either way, I wouldn't want to pay a LOT for the boat knowing that the EFI system could be unrepairable when it fails.

If it were me, I would be looking for a 95 or newer Volvo or Mercruiser powered boat equipped with a GM engine it because repair parts and services much easier to obtain.

Good luck,

Rick

Bondo

Staff member
If it were me, I would be looking for a 95 or newer Volvo or Mercruiser powered boat equipped with a GM engine it because repair parts and services much easier to obtain.

Ayuh,.... No way I'd buy a Ford/ OMC powered boat,....

That's just beggin' for expensive Problems,....

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I learn a lot from you guys, lol. Being a Ford fan for most of my life I appreciate the comments here, very good points. So to summarize, Ford trucks good, Ford marine bad, (that's how I heard it)!!

Thanks for the continuing education!! đź‘Ť

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Buick... keep looking... stay with Mercruiser- GM products for engine and Alpha One drives... parts are readily available... as Scott said, any manf who's out of business should be avoided. for $5K, you will be in the 20 year old + range for sure.. condition, condition, condition... older boats most certainly will have rot... where and how much is key.....have a marine shop survey it for u

aspeck

Staff member
If the boat is as good mechanically as the mechanic says, and if the outdrive is in good shape, and if the hull, transom, and floor are sound and solid, I would not be afraid to buy it, but only if the price was of a "disposable" nature. You know, if the mechanics go south you can dispose of the boat and still be ahead for the few hours of usage you had ($1-1.5K range). A good boat for the $5K price range CAN be found, but you have to work hard and long to find it. I found one several years ago ... outboard, dual console, decent shape. Motor blew late summer this year (rings broke), so I am in the process of rebuilding (well, rebuilding a 140 I traded the 115 for ... blown for blown). Keep looking and don't settle for the first boat that seems okay ... wait ... fall is a good time to look ... many people would rather sell than winterize and store.

MRS

Commander
Ford motor in that boat not! Omc if good not so bad but ford motor in that boat not!

Buickgsman

Seaman
Thanks for the thoughts guys! I will keep looking. I'm trying to sell a car project to raise the boat funds so I have time.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Honestly having been there and done that, I'd keep saving to get something newer, with a power train that you can easily get parts for and service when you can't fix certain problems yourself. Do not underestimate how difficult it is to fix wood rot in older fiberglass boats. I had to do this on mine and after that experience, the only used boats I will consider will be 3-5 years old max, and OUTBOARD powered. I/Os are OK in fresh water but not so much where I am...