After ECM repair hours on SmartCraft went to 0

MikeSearay

Cadet
I had to replace my ECM and when they were done it reset my hours for that engine to 0 on the smart craft. Before the issue the hours on the engines we close to the same and I would like smartcraft to reflect that. One engine now says around 400 and the other around2 and that is not correct. Is there a way to set this back to the actual engine hour?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Unless you can reprogram the ECM, I don't see how you are going to adjust the hours. And I really don't think the marina can as well, or if they can, probalby won't for insurance reasones. The internal clock runs a counter and store the info at some memory location. Unless you have access to that memry location, it is a no go. JMHO

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
does it matter? no different than getting your speedometer replaced and they put a sticker in your door jamb that says speedometer replaced at xxxxx miles. put a sticker on the motor that says ECM replaced at 400 hours.

Fun Times

Staff member
I had to replace my ECM and when they were done it reset my hours for that engine to 0 on the smart craft.
Did you have to buy a new ECM or was the old ECM reflashed/repaired? If /reflashed/repaired, who did it? A Mercury service dealer, Mercury Marine factory or a mail in/to repair company?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Not sure how sophisticated the ECU's are, but at least in the automotive world, many will run the engine differently based on hours/miles. I've worked with one that had corrections up to 70k miles on the clock, all basically accounting for wear.

(probably making lots of assumptions, most marine tech is many years behind!)

MikeSearay

Cadet
It was a new OEM ECM it was not a re-flash. I have asked the merc mechanics who changed it and they are checking with the factory.

MikeSearay

Cadet
Resolution is that it can't be done. Mechanic called Merc and there is no way to reset hours back to actuals. Keep that in mind when you are buying a used one.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I sure loved the days of points, condensers and coils. But what do I know.:violin: