possible spun bearing

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
2000 Volvo Penta 5.0 GL PEFS

Not sure so figured I'd ask. After an overheat situation I heard what sounded like belt squeal. I shut it down and the belts were a bit loose so I tightened them up. I am having very high oil pressure, 75-80 psi. Out on the lake Sunday I got that same squeal but the belts are tight. I shut it down and on restart there was no noise for the rest of the time out. I may be worried over nothing, but could I have spun a bearing and that's what the squeal is and cause of high oil pressure?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Well, was it low on oil? if it spun a bearing, it will let you know soon enough. It's possible the belts are the problem, hope it is. Try a manual oil pressure gauge right off the sender, remove the sender and screw it in and let us know what you got.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
I tried 3 different gages and they are all 75 - 80 psi. Wasn't low on oil either. I have new belts on the way as the ones on there I'm sure are original from the factory. It has 71 hours on the motor now, bought it last year about this time with 30 hours. The guy I got it from never did anything to it. I'm finding out the hard way that low hours doesn't mean problem free!

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... I'd think if ya spun a bearin', it'd be knockin',....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
When you remove the belts, check every pulley for play and roughness. Including the ps pump, and alternator, seawater pump if it's in the system, it will wear out.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
I'll be giving everything a good checking over. I did have what I thought sounded like a rod knock the 1st time I had it out after replacing the impeller. I have a thread over in the VP section on that. No knock out of gear, replaced u joints and gimbal, no more knocking noise. I guess I'll use it and see what happens. All seems good now other than the high oil pressure.