Mercruiser Bravo I Cooling Questions

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Motors appear to have pulley pumps but I cannot see any sea strainers. Former owner said water comes via ODs. I assume no strainers... Should I install one?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Usually no strainers unless you have closed cooling. Do you have closed cooling?

alldodge

Staff member
Motors appear to have pulley pumps but I cannot see any sea strainers. Former owner said water comes via ODs. I assume no strainers... Should I install one?

What kind of issues are you having?

tpenfield

Staff member
Motors ? Twins? New-to-you boat?

Yes, the water comes in via the outdrive as powered by the sea water pump. As stated, strainers are not standard issue, but can be added. I have added strainers to all of my Merc/Bravo engines. It keeps the impeller and cooling system in good shape.

Fun Times

Staff member
Sea strainers.... Should I install one?
What type of waters do you mostly plan to boat in? If the water seems exceptionally sandy then strainers should be considered. Also does the lower gear case housing have lower or dual water pickups that could easily pick up more sand in shallow areas. Some of the bravo lower water pickup holes sort of resembles the image below at the nose cone area.

s-l500.jpg

thumpar

Admiral
My B1 has the side intakes. There is no strainer on it. The water that I boat in is pretty clean except for some weeds in the shallows. It has never had an issue.