2000 mercruiser 5.0 fuel injected, cooling system question

Muisak

Recruit
Hello there and thank you for taking the time to read my post. I just purchased a 2000 sea ray signature 210 with Mercruiser 5.0 fuel injected. I bought the boat as a project, but it actually runs quite well. The next day after purchasing this boat, I broke my knee and now am unable to even go look at my new project :( I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction about the cooling system.

The guy ran the boat on ears for me, and it ran great. when i got it home, i noticed a hose had been leaking and noted i'd have to fix that (hose going to exhaust manifold has a good pinhole in it). My question is this: While looking up parts today, the mercruiser website shows that engine is supposed to have a closed loop cooling system? but i'm fairly certain this one is a full open system. Is there a particular year that the change from open to closed was made? or was it up to the boat manufacturer?

I appreciate any information thank you :)

tpenfield

Staff member
I think that you are referring to a 'closed cooling' system (vs. open cooling). It has been an option for engines and even an aftermarket add-on. You will know if you engine has closed cooling by the rather larger heat exchanger that is usually mounted on the front of the engine.

Parts diagrams may show both cooling systems as the engine could have either open or closed. Feel free to post a picture of your engine and the serial number for verification.