Estimated Sell Price of Blown 350 MAG MPI

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm trying to help out a friend with pricing his 2004 350 MAG MPI for sale. He found water in the oil after it wouldn't start. He purchased brand new turn key engine. Not exactly sure what is wrong with old engine. Assuming its blown, what is estimated sell price of engine? Better to part out, or sell complete? Seems like major components are:
- ECM Computer: $1500 new
- Fuel injectors
- Ignition system (electronic)
- Fuel pump?
- Water Pump
- Alternator​
- Starter

Seems difficult to find complete engines locally. Any opinions welcome. S/N: 0M685810

pckeen

Commander
My general experience is you do better parting out, than selling whole. EBay and craigslist are good options.

Fun Times

Staff member
Sorry, Correct s/n: 0M685870
Now that's a matching number :eagerness: MERCRUISER 350 MPI BRAVO 3" 350 MAG BRAVO MPI model number 4442077RS. http://www.iboats.com/350-MAG-MPI-AL...iew_id.1691817

Yes parting out usually seems to bring more money but sometimes there are people in need of a complete engine assembly that still has many good parts in order to make something else they may have work but of course they'd like to buy it for next to nothing too.:greedy_dollars:

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
water in oil could be a failed riser joint gasket. I personally would have diagnosed the problem vs a new motor.... however that is me.

Bondo

Staff member
Not exactly sure what is wrong with old engine. Assuming its blown, what is estimated sell price of engine?

Ayuh,..... A complete blown motor is worth $100. to $500. 'round here,....

By the piece would no doubt bring much more, but it's also much more hassle to part out,....

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I called a popular repower company asking if they buy back blown engines. They said they pay about $1000 for that engine depending on condition.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I called a popular repower company asking if they buy back blown engines. They said they pay about $1000 for that engine depending on condition.

If you can get anything close to $1000 dollars, you better be going there now! JMHO