I/O vs OB

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I'm sure this has been bought up before......maybe even by myself.
Interested to now what others think..............I'll keep my opinion to myself for now.............

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
I just bought an I/O last summer and it will be my last. Just had this discussion with my dad and a few friends. It was unanimous that outboard will be all any of us will ever buy again. Too much to go wrong with I/O.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I'm an I/O guy, All the way, so long as the hull is big enough to carry it,....

In yer case Tony, you boat in the brine,....
How long will a 300hp outboard motor last til it's a corroded useless, unfixable piece of poo,..??
How much does a new 300 hp outboard motor cost,..??

Now,.... How long will an I/O last in the same conditions,..??

Outdrive corroded off,... $1,500.00 buys ya a new one,...

I can find donor boats with clean solid freshwater drivelines all day long for $3500. to $5 grand,....
300 hp outboards are hard to find even used in that price range,...

alldodge

Staff member
I/O all the way, unless in a light fishing boat. Costal CC with twins would also be good, but again for fishing

No way to get the same rumble of open exhaust with an OB :D
No one pays much attention at a OB going down the lake, folks turn their heads at throated pipes doing the same

Edit: wonder how this would do between VP and Merc?

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Still holding my opinion.....maybe someone (@bondo) can duplicate this post on the OB side and tabulate the responses.................???

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Small fishing boat - outboard
Center council up to 30' - twin outboard
Center councils over 30' - Tripple Seven Marine 657's
Ski boat - in board (v-drive)
bow ridder - I/O
Cuddy - I/O
Express cruiser - I/O
Cruiser under 50' - in board diesels
Yacht under 50' - diesels with pods
Yacht over 50' - props and rudders
Yacht over 50M - jet drives

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Small fishing boat - outboard
Center council up to 30' - twin outboard
Center councils over 30' - Tripple Seven Marine 657's
Ski boat - in board (v-drive)
bow ridder - I/O
Cuddy - I/O
Express cruiser - I/O
Cruiser under 50' - in board diesels
Yacht under 50' - diesels with pods
Yacht over 50' - props and rudders
Yacht over 50M - jet drives
A few variances in opinions but close.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
For winter use - an outboard any day.

An I/O is fine for a larger boat.

tpenfield

Staff member
One of the advantages of an I/O in the past was that you could get a large amount of power versus an outboard. Not the case now.

I/O's give greater stern access, but newer boat designs are changing that for outboard boats.

The thing that I do not like about I/O's is that the outdrive is constantly in the water. For a moored or slipped boat, this presents a maintenance challenge.

The preference for my next boat will be outboards, since I moor my boat and boat in salt water. You can also get into skinnier water with an outboard boat, which has some advantages around where I boat.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I/O vs OB isn't usually a matter of personal preference. It's based on what's available in the type of boat you want to buy. There are a lot more either/or choices in boats under 25', than there are in boats larger than that. Show me a 25-30' express cruiser, or small flybridge cruiser like mine, that offers OB power. There are a few brand-new OB models around (SeaRay, I think), but you won't find anything like that used.

I'll take a straight inboard over an OB, I/O or V-drive all day long, but they aren't easy to come by.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
The reason for my question is this:
​I have a friend who has a boat in a slip next to mine.
I have an '84 GW and he has a Proline w/ a '98 Merc OB. (Blown)
I replaced my 350 Mercruiser 300+HP in my driveway for ~$3K and he's looking at $10K+............I can work on a SBC but not an OB.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
that pretty much is what Bondo stated prior. anyone can build a 300HP SBC for about $1500. nothing complicated about a marinized truck motor turning a driveshaft to an outdrive.

the issue with OB's is that they are specialized to cram 900# in a 1# package.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
All "brine" motors:

1997 200 Ocean Pro - 2289 hrs. Still in use
2004 F225 Yamaha - 3200 hrs. Still in use
2011 BF250 Honda - 5000 + hours still in use.

No risers, gimbal bearings or oil pans replaced to date

thumpar

Admiral
I am an I/O guy but it fits the types of boats and type of boating I do. I don't want to give up my full swim platform and sundeck.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I prefer I/Os, but that's because I can do my own maintenance. If I couldn't it would be an old school 2 stroke outboard. The other thing to consider is that the line between I/O and outboard had been blurred recently with the 4 strokes.

While I/Os tend to be more maintenance intensive, what I don't like about outboards is that you are irrevocable tied to the manufacturer for parts, and for quite a while they have been fully aware of it and holding guns to heads.

Chris.....