Are new engines a bad thing?

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Shopping for an express cruiser, and came across a 2002 280 Chaparral Signature powered by two Volvo 4.3L engines that were replaced in 2013.
Is it a bad thing or a good thing when a boat no longer has the original engines?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its a thing......

not bad or good. they were replaced for a reason. if your curious - ask the seller.

speculating - if the boat is in salt water, most likely they did not maintain the manifolds and the leaky manifolds killed the motors. (see a lot of that in Florida)

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
I would think it's a good thing just because of less hours on the motors.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Like most things, I don't think it's as simple as that. Depends, in part, on why they were replaced. Marine engines work hard, and if all was well taken care of, but just used a lot, a re-power could be a very good thing. On the other hand, it could be a sign there was, or is, other trouble. Quality/condition of repower parts and installation is part of the equation too

jkust

Rear Admiral
My take is that it won't make me want to pay more for it and so it isn't good or bad. Like a newer boat that has been reupholstered that I see on CL at times (though a newer reupholstery job tells me something went very wrong with its care). Of course many times the new engine and new upholstery sellers are trying to recoup at least some of the cost in their asking price. Again this is situational because as one of one hundred possible examples, someone could repower an old 90's boat with a modern MPI engine and accompanying drive and If I had 90's money, that may garner some more attention from me. I've never in all my life known someone to completely 'use up' their i/o engine in a boat as news as a 2002. In my state though boats just don't get huge hours on them for the most part and cruisers even less so as they sit slipped and go unused..

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
This shopping stuff is hard work!
Being as the boat is home ported in Annapolis, I think the salt water scenario is very likely the cause of the repower.
I keep bouncing around between Sea Ray, Regal, and Chaparral in the 27 to 29 foot length. It seems like no sooner do I decide which brand I want to go with, I come across a bunch of bad reviews.
Sometimes the internet is more trouble than it's worth!

Because of the salt water use, I think I'll have to place this boat in my 'C' list. Thanks!

tpenfield

Staff member
Usually the engine was replaced because of a bad thing that happened. The bigger question is if the boat is being sold shortly thereafter because the new engine did not work out, or has the owner just lost desire for the boat..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
This shopping stuff is hard work!
Being as the boat is home ported in Annapolis, I think the salt water scenario is very likely the cause of the repower.
I keep bouncing around between Sea Ray, Regal, and Chaparral in the 27 to 29 foot length. It seems like no sooner do I decide which brand I want to go with, I come across a bunch of bad reviews.
Sometimes the internet is more trouble than it's worth!

Because of the salt water use, I think I'll have to place this boat in my 'C' list. Thanks!

nothing wrong with a maintained boat that is in salt water.

unless you buy a brandy new boat with a warranty, the biggest thing over brand is condition, condition, condition, and did I mention condition.

the biggest issue with boats that sit in slips, especially when the owner is a bit of distance away is "out-of-sight-out-of-mind" sets in and boat owner gets busy.... maintenance laps.... next thing you know, the props are fouled with oysters, the bottom is a reef and small niggly things are now big things.

for all we know, the boat owner was an open check book and the marina mechanics said...."hey your motors are 12 years old, we should replace them"

without first hand knowledge, its all speculation.

back to your search......remember, condition, condition, condition.

Pusher

Lieutenant
You could run down to the slip if it's there and ask the owners around his slip. If you're lucky he's a rich jerk and they'll nark him out. You might throw in that you might keep the slip so they won't want to screw their future neighbor. I don't know if that would work but might be a good follow up to asking the owner.

jkust

Rear Admiral
You could run down to the slip if it's there and ask the owners around his slip. If you're lucky he's a rich jerk and they'll nark him out. You might throw in that you might keep the slip so they won't want to screw their future neighbor. I don't know if that would work but might be a good follow up to asking the owner.

He could be a middle class jerk too.

Alumarine

Captain

That's a double edged sword.
They might get along well with him and tell you the boats great when it's not just to help him sell it.

Goes both ways.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Good point, I guess In my world you're close to rich if you own a cruiser that lives in a slip.... One of those relative things.

That's a double edged sword.
They might get along well with him and tell you the boats great when it's not just to help him sell it.

Goes both ways.

Yeah, I was thinking the "I'm considering staying in the slip" might deter that. That's a hefty MIGHT though.

harleyman1975

Ensign
Of the 3 brands mentioned the Regal is probably the best Quality of the three from my personal experience...But who am I to say. (I have owned all three makes..."89" 268 sundancer, "03" 2000 BR Regal and "96" 290 Chapperal)

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Of the 3 brands mentioned the Regal is probably the best Quality of the three from my personal experience...But who am I to say. (I have owned all three makes..."89" 268 sundancer, "03" 2000 BR Regal and "96" 290 Chapperal)

Could that simply be caused by the Regal being the newest of the three? What, in your opinion, makes the Regal better quality?
So far, the only make I've decided against is Rinker. Sea Ray has impressed me with the quality of fit and finish and the use of stainless steel rather than chrome plated zinc.
Thanks for your thoughts.

harleyman1975

Ensign
I like the Hull design of the regal, The upholstery is real nice, feels "heavy" Looked at the glass work and was impressed with how it was finished...even under the sole in the lockers and bilge area. things like docking light switch and wiring all there just need to add lights and an extra accy switch all wired in too. It is very solid and smooth riding as well. I'll grant you the sea ray was a boat of another era. The chappy was a pretty boat but it felt light to me. Rattled when you bounced over a wave. Cheap R.V. style toilet. Fwd hatch hardware was flimsy (could not leave open if on plane). Gelcoat blistered after second year. Would not warranty because it was a dealer demo before we bought it.