engine swap

Chadomosis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Not sure if this is in the right spot... How tough would it be to swap a 5.7 OMC into the spot where a 3.0L merc sat? Motor mounts of course. With an OMC mount up to a merc out drive?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You need a different transom mount. Why on this blue earth would you keep the OMC stuff on the motor? I would strip the OMC exhaust off and run mercruiser manifolds to line up with the mercruiser y-pipe

Chadomosis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just have a line on an OMC motor and was wondering if it was even worth bothering with.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Well, Chad looking at an OMC, so it might as well be here in the outboard non-repair section. LOL

Moving this to the right place.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I just have a line on an OMC motor and was wondering if it was even worth bothering with.

the quest for more power is always worth bothering with. however unless you like piecing together things and spending lots more money than you need to, get a complete mercruiser 5.7 from pulley to prop. it may cost you initially a few $ more than just buying an engine, however it will be signifcantly less expensive in the long run. best way to buy the motor and drive is in a boat with a crap hull.

Chadomosis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks GA_Boater. I had a feeling I was in the wrong place. Sometimes my fingers move way faster than my brain... Kinda scary!