Gas is burping back at me while I fuel Regal 28.60 Commodore ??

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I own a 2003 Regal Commodore , twin gas 4.3 ​Owing over a year .
Burping issues has plagued me on/off during this time .
Fueling very slowly , seems too help but time has come too resolve this dangerous issue
I am retired and use my boat 3 times a week, local waters .
I top off often
Filling slowly , holding fuel handle at all times.
Filling slowly helps, but at times fuel burps . Indication is while I am fueling it will shut as if its full. Knowing it is not, I back away and the fuel shoots out all over swim platform .
THIS IS WHAT I HAVE DONE
On the regal vent line stands alone . Filler hose & two gas lines for engines
Vent line clear .
Was removed, re- installed , blowing air thru. Hull vent cap is also clean & clear

Thinking the L shaped fitting that mounts into fuel tank and connects vent hose,
Obstruction once loosed can not come up & out . That fitting has no ball just a vent connector, and leaving it alone

Other day while fueling, started too burp, I was able too look into engine room and at tank & hoses and nothing was expanding ?
FUEL FILLER CAP
a small threaded extruding piece of metal just before the rubber gas hose connects gas cap with a chain
This piece stops the fuel nozzle from going all the way into the fill
Hose only goes in a inch or so,
My thinking since its not all the way in air could be getting into line with fuel ???? causing the burping ???

Biggest issue is movement & ability too see and fix anything in engine room, but yesterday while poking around and moving gas hose felt a softer area within the black rubber fuel hose ?? Was not at a bend , might have been at one time and the softer area is causing the burping ?? SOME THOUGHTS

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy,

Gasoline "burping" back is definitely a vent problem. Your vent system is there to prevent that. the fuel vapor and air coming out of the vent line MUST equal the volume of fuel entering the tank. If it doesn't, the tank will pressurize slightly.

Either your vent hose is too small, partially plugged or it's kinked, or the vent is plugged right at the tank. Fuel "shoots" out because the vent being plugged is causing the fuel flow to pressurize the tank. When the pressure exceeds the "flow" pressure and the tank bulges out as far as it can, the tank snaps back pushing the fuel in the fill line back at you.

If it were mine, I would check that vent line again. When I had my tank out, I replaced both the fill and vent hoses.

Regards,

Rick

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Check and see if your vent line has a low spot in it. Fuel could accumulate in that low spot and when enough pressure builds in the tank it could force the liquid fuel from the low spot out the vent.

I get that when I'm filling the water tank in my travel trailer. I know there's a low spot in the vent line as I can see it. It's obviously not fuel so it's one of those I'll get at it sometime.

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a similar problem, but it is only at certain marinas. I chaulk that up to the one marina having more pressure at the pump to accomodate larger boats/ fuel hoses. I go to other marinas and no issues.

does this happen all the time, or no matter where you go?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If there is a soft spot in the fill hose, it could very well be a problem. The inside of the hose could be de-laminated.

airshot

Rear Admiral
All the suggestions here are good ones so you have some homework to do. One thing I might add it to be sure your vent line has an upward loop to it, in other words so there is no low spot. I had that issue on my boat after buying it some years back, also found I was getting water in the fuel tank so....after examining closely I found a low loop in the vent line which trapped fuel and also any water that might get forced into the vent during high speed operation. I reversed the loop to an upward loop and no more water and no more burping while filling. Yes it is a boat and most cannot be filled as quickly as an auto or truck, however some are really slow and that is usually tied to a vent problem.