What is the cause for "drifting"?

Skyhead22

Seaman
Right about 60mph it sounded like my prop started to aerate, rpm spiked a little and all at the same time the stern of my boat started sliding out to the side. I immediately pulled back on the throttle and came right out of it. Water was smooth, I wasn't near peak rpm. 26" prop. Measured by gps.

Attachments

• photo250337.jpg
    photo250337.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0

Skyhead22

Seaman
It wasn't chine walk, I'm guessing trim was too high and the keel basically left the water for a moment? It would seem best to trim down but with the aeration, throttle decrease seemed best option.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I'm going with the cause being your right hand. It is what controls the throttle and trim

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I'm no high speed expert, but I had that experience a long time ago when I upgraded from a 40 hp Johnson to an 80 hp Merc on a 15' moulded mahogany boat. It felt like the stern was trying to pass the bow. Maybe it was overpowered for the boat's design. I never did find out. A car accident totalled the boat with only a few hours on the brand new motor. Maybe a keel fin near the stern would help your situation. - Grandad