Best way to dip a gas tank

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My gas gauges have never worked and have now discovered by tying a small socket can drop it into the tank and can feel bottom. Difficult to tell the exact height and wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction as to the best type of twine and maybe a chalk that will easily show the height.
Many thanks....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Drop the socket on whatever your using until you feel bottom. Pinch the cord at the edge of the tank and pull it out. Measure from the socket to the pinch.

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That was special, thank you.
Height of the gas.
Is a type of string or twine that when, for example chalked, that would show the height of the gas.
I've tried with few different methods but has been very difficult to tell this measurement.
Thanks...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are you trying to see how much gas is in the tank or how high the tank is? I gave you a way to see how high the tank is. I think now that I misunderstood you question.

Do you have a straight path to the bottom of the tank?

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, I have a curved filler pipe but do have a way to get a length of string with weight to the bottom.
My problem is that it is so difficult to see the height of the gas in the tank as there is no contrast of the gas against the string.
Any suggestions please.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
OK You are trying to measure the gas with the string right? I would not use a string, because the slack can drop down and give you a false reading. If you have an old fishing rod around, remove all of the guides so you wind up with a smooth flexible rod, then sand it to a nice mat finish. Stick it in and pull it out, you should be able to see the gas level.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Here's a novel idea,......

Fix the gas gauge,.....

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This model of Sea Ray has complete inaccessibility to the tops of the tanks and refuse to cut a sq ft access each side through the deck to get to them.
Preferred my 60's Chris Craft that came from the factory with a length of wood.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Just install a 6" screw flush mount hatch over the sender,....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Ayuh,.... Just install a 6" screw flush mount hatch over the sender,....

That's what I installed in my boat specifically to get to the gage sender!

If you do not want to do that, get yourself one of these.
Lowrance_LMF_400_fuel_cPanbo_small.jpg

You calibrate them by filling an empty tank, recording the total number of (full) gallons. Then they calculate fuel remaining by integrating fuel flow over time. They are very accurate if you start with a known qty of fuel.

Otherwise, cut a hole in the floor and fix the sender.

While you're at it, suction out all the water and debris in the tank, clean the fuel pickup screen and replace the anti-siphon check valve.

Regards,

Rick