CAI For Boats?

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have wondered if running a tube up & under my back bench seat would produce positive results. There is about 8 to 10" under the bench seat which is where much cooler air would be. Curious to know if it is possible & possibly beneficial.

southkogs

Staff member
Probably need more details from ya'. Where you're at (speed, RPM at WOT, etc.) and where ya' wanna' go (see previous parenthetical)?

Your boat may be able to up some performance (and someone else will have to chime in on the benefits of the intake), but your boat may be kinda' limited by it's hull too (they're only designed to go so fast - unless ya' strap a LOT of power to 'em).

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you have a doghouse, take it off for a few test runs. The intake air can't be cooler than an atmosphere exposed flame arrestor.

I don't think you will see any difference.

Just in case others are guessing - CAI=Cold Air Intake

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Unless your into big off-shore power, you won't be seeing any increase in power.

For example: the 1300hp/ 1350hp mercury racing motors differ only by fuel mapping, where the 1350 requires the intake plumbed to an exterior air source. That is with a 9.4 liter motor fed with a supercharger and twin turbochargers.

You may see a 1-3 hp change on the average motor. Then again, barometric change and temperature change day to day will give you up to 10hp difference on a typical big block

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
CAIs barely do anything on an auto engine and the temp difference is way more that the difference between in an engine compartment and ambient air.

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Probably not worth the time or money. I just thought since it is an old school set up pulling in air from on top of the motor that bringing it in from another place would be beneficial.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
CAIs barely do anything on an auto engine and the temp difference is way more that the difference between in an engine compartment and ambient air.

They can actually HURT performance of an engine in some cases. Cold fuel is bad atomizing, and fuel droplets won't burn, only fuel vapor. Technically you get better power with cold air, but not if your fuel isn't completely vaporized.