To SEI or not to SEI

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Looks like I'm in the market for an outdrive.....
​I know this has been asked before but...........what's the consensus?

Fun Times

Staff member
If you're a do it yourselfer as far as installation and handling basic warranty issues with the company directly and like to save money then SEI is good for you.

If you hire someone to do everything for you, and you experience an issue and the non SEI dedicated dealer/service shop has to redo the labor or certain parts such as oil and installation gaskets, then be prepared to possibly re-pay the costs to the shop as it's not graciously offered by SEI. If you ask for the items to be covered...then maybe.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I swapped one onto my boat a couple years ago. Jason, the SE tech, is pretty available to assist, phone or email. The drives are fine, as far as I'm concerned. Like anything, you'll get those who like them and a few who don't. I never had any problems with mine after it was a bit tight on first assembly.

Rick

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I have sold 27 this year and the SEI Mercruiser lower shifts smoother than the OEM...

FreeBeeTony

Captain
What about this break-in period?
​Is that required on OEM drives?
What is the purpose?
Has the paint issue been resolved?

There is a guy here on Long Island (pretty well known) that rebuilds/sells drives. Going to give him a call tomorrow and see what he has to say.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
I run an SEI lower on mine works great and it does shift very nice.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Difference typically is warranty. Nothing wrong with a rebuilt. But compare the price with the the three year SEI warranty.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Decided to go w/ the local guy. Hope to pick-up the drive this afternoon.
​He is known to stand by his work......Known as the "King of Alphas".

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Tony I'm also on LI, who is this guy?
I'm up on the North Shore and have used Snug Harbor Marine in Northport, very good.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
His name is Marty Moss in Amityville.
​1.516.314.0588
Tell him Tony sent you........don't think he works on OMC's though.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the contact Tony, let us know how the install/test run goes!
My 29 year old Cobra is still running & shifting great, but I like to keep options open. When the time comes, I can do one of several things:
get rebuilt Cobra (my local guy in Northport still does them), they are also available from several on line sources.
convert to a Volvo SX (more money but smoother shifting cone clutch, and better re-sale down the road)
convert to SEI, or use their kit to convert to a rebuilt Alpha.

I like the Cobra because I can do all the maintenance on it and they really do last a LONG time when set up properly. Prob go with option 1.