Need source - Looking for good, complete, drop-in 4.3 and 1.81/1.84 sterndrive

skijunk

Seaman
I have been looking around locally with no luck. I have found a few on ebay but I'm not sure what I should be paying for this engine and stern drive. Other than ebay, do you guys have any sources I can check with for these items?
Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Buy a complete runnin' boat with the driveline of yer choice,....

Strip it, 'n scrap what ya don't need or want outa it,.....

skijunk

Seaman
I am considering that too . I hate to toss this boat. By the way, any idea what happens with boat hulls when they get scrapped ?

skijunk

Seaman
Oh and I got this boat (1998 Tahoe Q5) on a trailer with brakes and swivel tongue for free so I figured spending 5 - 6000 on it to get it in shape wouldn't be such a bad idea. The hull is in great shape

Bondo

Staff member
By the way, any idea what happens with boat hulls when they get scrapped ?

Ayuh,.... 'round here, they get hauled to the transfer site, crushed, 'n sent to the landfill,....

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Just like Bondo said: I pulled everything I could use or sell and hauled my stripped donor boat to the landfill. They let me tie it to the blade of a D9 and drive out from under it. 2 minutes later it was splinters. When done it was a couple wheelbarrows of glass fibers. Cost $25 fee

I paid $1500 for a boat with no floor or transom and a new rebuilt V6 and complete outdrive. It appeared in pretty good shape, so used it to repower my own boat. I figure you can find similar. Even if the boat you find has a freeze cracked block if it's cheap enough, last I checked a 4.3L block is ~$300. LOTS cheaper than a 3.0L block.

Rick