First oil change on new long block - when?

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
As I noted previously in my oil leaking topic, after trying 2 of those (Dorman?) covers, engine pulled early this season, put on metal cover, engine back in, been boating since - phew!

Now, my question is on break-in, and first oil change. It was suggested at 25 hours. I've got 34 hours on 'er - do you think I'm OK to go another 5 or 10 hours til first oil change? Got a little weekend get-away planned with the Admiral, wondering if I need to cancel it til I can get to the oil change. The oil is full and clean on the dipstick. All input welcome. Thanks.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks Bondo. What would you say would be a limit of hours before 1st oil change?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I'd have changed it at 20 hours, just to look it over,....
That's the Biggest reason anyways, to catch any problems from the overhaul,...

The differences of where yer at, 'n where yer goin' is inconsequential,....

Any oil change is good for 100 hours, 50 hours in extreme conditions,...

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks again Bondo. And (hoping) not to beat a dead horse, but, I guess I'm looking for input from those with more experience

I'm not sure if this is considered an overhaul. It was a long block from a good local machine shop. It's now at about 40 hours, with no clear opportunity to change the oil soon, but still want to do some "light" boating (long story)

Has anyone seen any actual damage resulting from first oil change being done, at say 100 hours ("non-extreme" use) rather than at 25-50 hours? I'm thinking it's OK, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Here's a pic of a recent trip into Buffalo, just for fun near Riverworks.JPG

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Buffalo, my long lost home sweet home. Love that there's Labatt Blue logos on the grain silos now, it was the beer of my childhood ;)

dwco5051

Commander
Believe what Bondo said, not many on this site have more experience. Mine is limited to only ten or so rebuilt engines in trucks, aircraft, and heavy equipment. If it has not had a catastrophic failure yet another 5 or ten hours probably won?t make much difference.

If this were my engine I would have done the first change at 20-25 hours. I just had a remanufactured engine put in my skid steer a month ago. I plan on changing oil at 20 hours and sending a sample of the used oil to the lab for testing. Any problems I want to know while still under warranty.

Anytime I had an overhaul on my airplane?s engine I would pick it up and do a couple of touch and goes. If I did not end up in a flaming ball of aluminum then it was changed every 25 hours or four months, whichever came first. Some rust can form inside an unused engine and it is abrasive when mixed with the oil.

It is a lot like electronic equipment. Leave it on for the first day and if it doesn?t die it will more than likely last a long time.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
The Admiral and I spent the weekend around the Buffalo waterfront a few weeks ago. Amazing how it's developed just in the last few years, and tons of events and people down here - great to see inner Harbor.JPG

dwco - thanks for the input. That's what I thought, and it's comforting to hear it from others - especially with the specific experiences. I had planned to do it at 25 hours, but there's just so much to do...No catastrophic failures, runs smooth and strong, temperature, oil pressure good and steady, no noticeable changes of any kind. It shouldn't have much of a chance get rusty, it gets runs often.Gotta get it in before the water gets hard again.

OIl change scheduled for this week. Was thinking about sample for testing. Suggestions on how much and what to get sample in, and where to send for analysis?(any specifics to ask of the lab?)

Last edited:

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've always used Blackstone Labs for my boats oil sampling. Their reports are easy to understand and they get them done quick. Great company. I send an oil sample at the end of each season.

www.blackstone-labs.com

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The break-in oil will no doubt have filin's in it, the motor is breakin' in,....

I'd wait, 'n do an oil sample test on the 2nd oil change, rather than the break-in oil,.....

dwco5051

Commander
Ayuh,.... The break-in oil will no doubt have filin's in it, the motor is breakin' in,....

I'd wait, 'n do an oil sample test on the 2nd oil change, rather than the break-in oil,.....

Agree that in most cases the excess metal readings will tell nothing that isn?t expected. Back about 15 years ago I worked for an outfit that installed a 250hp 225KW Cummins generator set in a newly constructed building. This unit was designed to not only take care of building needs but also could be tapped onto for other outside equipment in case of some sort of disaster. After the first year it was still drinking oil like there was no tomorrow. It had only been run on the exercise clock under no load and for less than one hour on light building load tests simulating power outages for turn over inspection. It never ran hard enough to seat the rings. We ended up having to bring in a resistor bank on a trailer and run it for a day at full load to fix it. A test of the break in oil would have show less than expected levels of certain metals and saved a lot of time in figuring out the problem.

A boat motor would be running at full load normally after the first hour or so and a test on the second change would be more meaningful.

My new engine will probably not get used that hard this summer as it is only moving billets and a few logs around as I stock up my woodsheds. If I don?t see high numbers on the break in oil will spend an afternoon moving a gravel pile from one end of the lane to the other. I like to have the test as a baseline test and be able to see what is decreasing along with what may be going the other way.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the input, and sharing your experience. I like the idea of having data, although it sounds like analyzing break-in oil isn't really meaningful. Blackstone labs looks good - anyone know of any good ones nearer to western New York?

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not trying to highjak jus wondering what engine oil did you use. Do you use a different oil on break in then go to a regular oil. My understanding is I should use 25-40w in my King cobra 460.