Calling all the searay owners.

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all. I am calling out all the searay owners who own the 270 with a single 7.4 mpi or know info about them. What is your top speed and cruising speed ? Mine was able to top out at 4600 rpm no problem but now barley gets 4200 and at that speed its 32 mph. Assume its bottom growth and also load. And my cruising speed is from 24-26 mph.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Hello all. I am calling out all the searay owners who own the 270 with a single 7.4 mpi or know info about them. What is your top speed and cruising speed ? Mine was able to top out at 4600 rpm no problem but now barley gets 4200 and at that speed its 32 mph. Assume its bottom growth and also load. And my cruising speed is from 24-26 mph.

Howdy,

You know, there actually is a Sea Ray section here on iBoats! http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owners-groups-by-manufacturer/s/sea-ray-boats

That might be a great place to ask the above question.

That said, your "problem" may not be (and probably IS not) a Sea Ray issue.

There are several possible reasons why you may not be making full rated WOT RPM (and speed)

The following thread is a good place to start. Focus particularly on #14

Regards,

Rick

pullin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I didn't see the question in the Sea Ray specific section, so I'll answer BigDog here.

I don't know how useful this is, since I'm a new 270 owner, but at least it's another data point. Mine is a 2000 270 DA with the 7.4 (this model year has the 9' 2" beam). It also has the full setup of generator, hot water heater, A/C etc., so it's pretty heavy. These figures are from a run with full tanks (both fuel and water), but just me aboard. Also, if it matters it's a Bravo III w duoprop. I don't know the pitch of the props.

Cruise: 28 mph @ 3400 rpm.
Hi Cruise: 30 mph @ 3600 rpm
Top: 33 mph @ 4400 rpm.

Mine is stored in a slip and has bottom paint, but it has only been in the water for two months (freshwater lake in N Texas). I took a look at the hull and outdrive last weekend, and they're almost perfectly clean. As you can see, for my boat anything over 3600 is just burning money. There's almost no gain after 30 mph.

Hope this helps...