Stuck gear lube screws Alpha One Gen 2 outdrive

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
I tried to change gear lube and appears that both lower and upper vent lube screws are stuck pretty well. I dont want to strip or break the screws, so I wondered if there is a way to unscrew them without damaging. Do I need a special screwdriver? Would impact wrench work?
Thanks

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Don't use a pneumatic impact wrench, it will most likely turn them to mush. The best/easiest/cheapest way is one of those impact screwdrivers that you whack with a hammer. A couple hits with that and it will unscrew easily! The hammer impact drivers won't strip out since you are driving it into the screw head with the hammer force.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I just tap the screwdriver with a hammer. then they unscrew. Replace the gaskets on the screws every time you remove them. Once the gaskets get squished, they seem to get tight easier and there is the possibility they could leak.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I have used a 2' long screw driver. The tip is thicker than a normal length one and gets me the leverage I need.

boatman37

Lieutenant
i had a piece of 1" steel flat stock laying around that fit perfectly in the slot. i want to see if the local dealer has allen head replacements for them for next time

TyeeMan

X2 on what Grub54891 said, it works really well. Slightly different application but the same technique applies to loosening the drain plug on snowmobile aluminum chain cases. A couple taps with a hammer directly on the drain plug and she comes right out.

thumpar

Admiral
Make sure you use a screwdriver with a wide and thick tip. I have an impact driver like smokingcrater described that has saved me from stripping many screws.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I had to use an impact screwdriver just this year...... Worked good.....

dlogvine

I used an impact screwdriver from Harbor Freight, worked quickly, after a couple minutes of tapping both screws got out. Thank you guys