Engine compartment blowers

jwestjr

Seaman
I have a 1972 Starcraft Chief with a mercruiser 120 and recently noticed there are two vents on the upper deck of the compartment (exhaust) but there is only one blower. Is this standard or am I missing a blower? I don't fully understand the front vents near the front seats that are intake, I assume they pass air to the engine compartment while under way. I've only had this boat a year and for safety reasons need to know and fully understand this. It is set up with a storage cabinet on one side and a refridgerater on the other so I cant follow for certain the ducts. Thanks for any explanation.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
The blower is for removing fumes before starting the engine. It should have a hose that goes to the lower part of the bilge. You should run the blower for 5 min before starting the engine. After that the engine will draw fresh air into the engine compartment. Some run the blower all the time the engines are running. I don't. Maybe at idle but when the engine is at cruising speed or above it will suck more air into the bilge through the carbs tan any little blower could.

Alumarine

Captain
The second rear facing vent does not have a blower attached.
It helps vent the engine compartment when under way along with the front facing ones.

jwestjr

Seaman
Thanks for the reply and information. I as well as anyone don't want a bad day on the water.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Being an older boat do make sure the vent hoses are in good condition and still there...yes they do deteriorate and some just fall apart. New vent hoses are inexpensive and need to be in place to allow the vents to do their job. All those vents need to get to the engine compartment in some manor (hose or directly on engine compartment) or they won't do you any good. You are correct...nobody wants a bad day on the water!!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the reply and information. I as well as anyone don't want a bad day on the water.

Howdy,

For what it's worth, I only had one blower in my engine compartment too. When I replaced the engine (7.4L Mercruiser) I added a second blower and it seems to run cooler in there when I run them all the time.

You can put as many in there as you like. The important thing of course is to run them before starting.

Regards,

Rick