Bravo 1 maintenance frequency

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
Kinda lame question, but wondered how often should I change the oil in the Bravo 1 outdrive and how often should I change the impeller/gaskets in the water pump. This is my friends boat and he said it was serviced last year before the season started. The boat was kept outside in Arizona, so the temperatures in summer are going up quite a bit.
Same question for Alpha II outdrive. I purchased the boat with Alpha II outdrive, looked like the engine oil was new, very clean, but dont know how long ago was the outdrive serviced. Is there any way to determine if I should change the fluids and the impeller in this outdrive without taking it apart?

Thank you.

alldodge

Staff member
Both drives depends on the amount of hours each are used. Merc says to replace lube yearly with both drives.

My opinion
Bravo change lube every 50 hours or every other year, change impeller every two years, and check alignment while your at it.

Alpha Gen II, change lube every 50 hours or every other year, check alignment while your at it. Change impeller every 5 years or 100 hours

tpenfield

Staff member
For the Bravo's, I change the impeller at 100 hour (engine time) intervals . . . If there is a sea water strainer, you can usually go 150 hours.

For the gear oil, I do about every 3 years, even though Merc says every year.

for my friend's boat, I change those things whenever he asks me to help :)