4.3L Engine Block

Volphin

Lieutenant
Can someone give me a hand with this 4.3L engine block? I need to know year of mfg and if it was a roller cam block or not.
Casting number: 10105867
Front Tab # T0521FLB

Thanks!

Volphin

Lieutenant
Ok, I give up. … Why can't I get oil through the roller lifters? The cam bearings are oriented properly, I get oil up to the lifters, but not through them! Arrrrgh!
Maybe I have the wrong cam grind in preventing the oil from entering the roller lifters? This is so frustrating.

alldodge

Staff member
Ok, I give up. … Why can't I get oil through the roller lifters? The cam bearings are oriented properly, I get oil up to the lifters, but not through them! Arrrrgh!
Maybe I have the wrong cam grind in preventing the oil from entering the roller lifters? This is so frustrating.

Are you using push rods with a hole thru the center of them?

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, but they are not installed yet.

The lifters get oil from their bores they ride in, the oil then comes up thru a small hole in the top of the lifter, thru the push rod to the rocker

Volphin

Lieutenant
I know? It seems like the oil passages in the lifters is not matching up with the oil gallery. This engine was torn down due to lack of valve train oiling. The lifters actually actuated, but no oil was coming up through the pushrods and oiling the rockers.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
The oil channel around the lifter should line up with the pin hole passage in the block bore. I would suggest measuring the distance (cam lobe to oil hole) to see if it is the lifter type or something else

Volphin

Lieutenant
I may have found the problem. I think the cam bearings are incorrect for a Tonawanda block. According to what I've read, the Tonawanda blocks use 1) a different cam bearing set with two large and two small. 2) There is also a different install procedure. I'm pasting some of the info I found. The bummer is, NAPA doesn't have these bearings! Can anyone assist with the proper cam bearing set PN?

1987- ’94 WITHOUT BALANCE SHAFT: In 1987, a roller lifter cam was installed, so the block was changed again. Two bolt bosses were added in the middle of the valley for the lifter retainer that kept the rollers properly located on the cam and perpendicular to it. This same basic block was used through ’91 for everything, and in ’92 through ’94 for all of the engines without balance shafts except for one small difference – some of the blocks came with four bolt holes for the tunnel style retainer beginning in ’92. There were several different castings used, including the 10105867, 10172756, 14099073, 14093683 and 10066011 with the two-bolt retainer, and the 10172756, 14099073 and 10066061 blocks with the four-bolt retainer.

MORE ABOUT BLOCKS
There is one other subtle difference in the blocks. The cam bearing sets are different, depending on whether the block was made in Romulus or Tonawanda. The Tonawanda blocks use two larger diameter cam bearings, one in front and one in back, instead of only one large one in the front. Both bearing sets are available in the aftermarket. (Yeah but where?)

Technical Service Bulletins
Engine -Repair Differences Based on Production Location
GMC NUMBER: 92-6A-14
GROUP: 6A Engine Mechanical
DATE: October, 1991
CORPORATE NUMBER: 136119
SUBJECT:
INFORMATION ON APPEARANCE AND MECHANICAL DIFFERENCES OF THE 4.3L LB4 ENGINES PRODUCED BY
TONAWANDA AND ROMULUS ENGINE PLANTS
MODELS:
1992 S/T, C/K, AND G
The purpose of this service bulletin is to inform field personnel of the appearance differences and the mechanical differences of the 1992 4.3L LB4
engine, manufactured at Tonawanda, NY vs. Romulus, MI.
TONAWANDA - (LB4)
Engine Identification Number beginning with "T" located on the front of the engine block at deck height in front of the right cylinder head.
1. Engine painted as components; therefore the aluminum intake manifold will be silver in color.
2. Net Valve lash rocker arm assembly (new stud, ball, and nut).
3. Camshaft bearing order revised to allow engine plant assembly of the bearings from the rear of the block.
1. Largest outside diameter
2. Mid Size O.D.
3. Smallest O.D.
ROMULUS - (LB4)
Engine Identification Number beginning With "W" located on the front of the engine block at deck height in front of the right cylinder head.
1. Engine painted as an assembly. This is the appearance of previous model years; black intake manifold and engine block.
2. Adjustable rocker arm studs.
3. Camshaft bearing order is the same as previous years.
1. Largest O.D.
2. Mid Size O.D.
3. Smallest O.D.
Note:
Both engine plants will use a new camshaft with a smaller lobe base circle and a long travel roller lifter. These were engineered to be compatible
with the net valve lash (Tonawanda) feature.

alldodge

Staff member
I'll do some looking but I'm scratching my head right now. It has a larger cam bearing in the front and rear but has smaller bearings() in the middle. I don't see how you get the cam in unless one of the outer bearings while larger OD has a smaller ID

Volphin

Lieutenant
I'm confused too. All the cam bearing I look up say without T, or non Tonawanda blocks. Did someone invent a screw together camshaft when we weren't looking? LOL

This TSB was issued in 1991, so it may not apply to the 89-90 T block as far as installation, however, there must be a difference in the cam bearings. for this 89-90 block. Your link says Buick… for that casting number hmmmm.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Do you have T stamped on the machined surface on the front right?

alldodge

Staff member
I just sent an email to Sealed Power asking how to identify the differences. Did notice in the right up that with the T-bearings it mentions larger in front and back, but the back may not be the rear. Might just be the one behind the first

Volphin

Lieutenant
No Title

Here is the full number.

Attachments

• photo248278.jpg
    photo248278.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1

Volphin

Lieutenant
I just sent an email to Sealed Power asking how to identify the differences. Did notice in the right up that with the T-bearings it mentions larger in front and back, but the back may not be the rear. Might just be the one behind the first

Thanks for the assist sir. :)

alldodge

Staff member
Never did hear anything back from sealed power. Might need a phone call if one can be located.

Volphin

Lieutenant
My apologies, I lost track of this thread. I mic'd out the cam bearings and they were fine. The issue turned out to be a set of defective lifters. I'm just anal and had to check everything twice. Ok maybe three times. This is the first time I've ever had a set of NEW lifters be just plain defective in all my years of working on engines.