OMC 800 first time owner & Possible M/C Swap

JKNations

Recruit
So I may have goofed in buying a Steury boat (great shape) that has an OMC stringer outdrive, It is fine right now other than the tilt can't lift the outdrive over 3 inches. anyone out there that works on these things? The real question is, has anyone changed an OMC stringer over to a Mercruiser? What all is involved and how much money?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Gonna move this over to the IO-Non-repair section since it covers two manufacturers.

The primary difference between a Mercruiser and an OMC Stringer is how the weight of the motor/sterndrive is supported.

Stringer weight is on the boat's stringers, hence the name, and trimming is done by raising and lowering the front of the motor, the reason for the huge hole in the transom and the large rubber gasket. Tilt is by the electric motor driven gear thingie that you're having trouble with.

Mercruiser motor/sterndrive weight is supported by the transom and the motor is solidly mounted, while tilt and trim is via the two hydraulic cylinders that only raise and lower the drive..

That explanation leads to what needs to be done to convert from a Stringer to the M/C. The transom wood needs to be replaced and the large hole in the fiberglass needs to be filled. You can't make a plug for the hole, the entire wooden part of the transom needs to be replaced for the needed weight support. The fiberglass work is typical fiberglass work. After the wood and glass work, you need to cut the M/C keyhole or opening for the drive and then install everything M/C. That's it in a nutshell.

Has it been done? I know of at least one conversion here - In an aluminum boat, I don't recall a glasser conversion off hand, but I'm sure there are some.

How much to do the conversion? It depends on if you do the work or if a shop does it. You can find a donor boat with a working M/C setup and sell the Stringer to offset some costs. If a good donor deal can be found, maybe the Stringer sale can even pay for a good amount of the wood and glass work, but that's only if you do the work.

I won't hazard an actual cost guesstimate. Their are too many variables to be considered.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
So I may have goofed in buying a Steury boat (great shape) that has an OMC stringer outdrive, It is fine right now other than the tilt can't lift the outdrive over 3 inches. anyone out there that works on these things? The real question is, has anyone changed an OMC stringer over to a Mercruiser? What all is involved and how much money?
Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

I won't say you "goofed"......but if it runs well, just fix the tilt, run it for the Summer and sell it next Spring as a good running boat!

THEN, find a boat powered the way you want it. It will not be worth replacing the transom and reworking the engine compartment to install a Mercruiser.

Regards,

Rick

JKNations

Recruit
I'm new to forums so i don't know where this will go. Thanks to all for the input, If I can get over my next hurdle I may keep it for a year. Now I have a question. What should be the max voltage output to the battery? I replaced the regulator and its better but still too high in my opinion. At the battery I have 15+ volts. It was going to 18-19 before new regulator. Could the alternator be putting too many volts for the regulator to clip? Its a 350 engine and right now just 1 battery.Its a Prestolite, ALK 6222Y-11L alternator. At the alternator I am getting the unregulated volts of 18-19 so i wonder if the alt was only at 16 maybe it would be regulated to 14? Sound possible?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
15 volts is a little high, usually about 14.5 max.

Have you cleaned the battery posts and both ends of the positive and negative wire? A high resistance or cruddy connection could cause what your seeing..

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
At the battery I have 15+ volts. It was going to 18-19 before new regulator.

Exactly where are you measuring the battery voltage? If you place your test leads directly on the battery posts (NOT the lead battery cable ends connected to the battery) , you will read battery voltage.

When the engine is off, it should be approx 12.5v for a fully charged battery.

If you read a higher voltage (on the battery POSTS) when the engine is running (approx 13-14.5v) the alternator is charging. and producing enough current to overcome the internal resistance of the battery AND provide sufficient current to operate all the accessories.

If the battery is "healthy" (and the right size) the correct alternator will usually not overcharge (or produce enough current to overcharge) the battery.

This all assumes all connections are clean, and tight.

If either battery cable end is corroded, and/or the posts are corroded, that corrosion(in the form of lead sulphate) will introduce resistance between the actual cable end connector and the lead post. (lead sulphate is a rather poor conductor)

You can actually measure this resistance in the form of voltage drop (or voltage across) the cable-end --- post connection.

I.E, place your test leads on the actual post and the connector when either charging or discharge(operating accessories with engine off) and you will measure voltage between the post and the cable end connected to it......it can be a few tenths of a volt to a couple of volts depending on how corroded it is and how much current is flowing) on BOTH terminals! A two volt drop on each connectors would add up to 18v total!

If you draw a LOT of current (like cranking a starter for 30 sec or so) the terminal will actually get HOT if there's a lot of corrosion and a poor connection. (high resistance + high current produces HEAT, sometimes enough to actually melt lead!)

Remove the battery connections and clean them to shiny metal. then use a spray sealant or grease to "seal" them. You want to prevent vaporized sulphuric acid from contacting the exposed lead.

Corrosion can result in very slow cranking. But the BIG problem is once you get the engine started, the alternator will try to charge the battery through a high resistance and will increase current accordingly. A defective regulator makes it worse!

This can produce high enough voltages to damage or destroy electronics. (like your fish finder, stereo, or your engine ECM/IGN module etc.....

DO NOT allow your battery terminals (or GROUND connections) to become loose or corroded or both (ever!) ! Corrosion can occur in any connection especially in crimped connections close to the battery.

Cheers,

Rick

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The 3 inches is the trim travel and is all the trim needed. The trim is the acme screw jack at the front motor mount The tilt mechanism is separate and will tilt up nearly 80 degrees. The tilt motors are problematic, however simple. The tilt motor is in the intermediate housing and drives the worm gear that drives the tilt quadrant

southkogs

Staff member
And to condense GA and Rick's posts to a consolidated whole : run the Stringer for as long as you can or are willing (they're not a terrible drive system, just antique). When the day comes that you're done with it ... then buy a boat that has a Mercruiser or Volvo.

The conversion from a Stringer to something transom mounted is a real bear of a project.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Many of the stringers had separately mounted regulators that were not integral to the alternator. Replace it with a more modern alternator if this is the case. What year is the drive?