Question before I purchase '86 Citation

PK4488

Recruit
Im thinking about buying a 1986 Citation 19' for $800 with trailer. Guy says head needs opened because "valves are stuck". I've rebuilt top end of motorcycles before and am willing to rebuild this if need be. How does one know that "valves are stuck" as opposed to a fully seized crank?

Bondo

Staff member
How does one know that "valves are stuck" as opposed to a fully seized crank?

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... What motor,..?? What drive,..??

If ya hit the key, 'n it turns over, the pushrods get bent if the valves are seized,...

If ya hit the key, 'n there's a Loud, "Clunk",....
Either the motor, or the drive is seized, pull the drive off, 'n try it again to see if it's the motor,...

PK4488

Recruit
Sorry, I dont know about the motor or drive. I found this boat on Craigslist while on break at work and the limited description that was on the ad is all I have to go off of. I haven't been able to speak to the owner either. Based on the photographs I doubt the boat has a battery. Looks like it's been on land for an extended period of time. Thanks for the info. I'll try to get a hold of the owner tomorrow to inquire as to how he knows "valves are stuck".

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'd take a guess it has a mercruiser 120 or 140, with an alpha drive. I have an 85. The first thigh to check is the transom, and deck for soft spots, rot. If there is any silicone around the transom assembly, its rotten. They put silicone there to stop the leaks. Unless you have the skills to totally gut and rebuild the hull, walk away. If the hull is solid, Then do as bondo says, and check out the motor.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Unless you have the skills to totally gut and rebuild the hull, walk away. If the hull is solid, Then do as bondo says, and check out the motor.
Even if the hull is solid, the boat falls into the "free" category. And free boats are frequently NOT free by the time you get done replacing the engine and drive........

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
I got a free boat once. New motor .rebuilt drive .stringers .bulkheads.transom .deak. paint. interior. 1 years worth of work 6000 dollars and i have a boat. I took it on for a hobby and now i know what i have no surprises.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
1 years worth of work 6000 dollars and i have a boat.
Not a thing wrong with that but that 1 year of work (if you had to pay someone for it) would probably be something like another $10-15,000.

And you can buy a helofa boat for $16,000-21,000 where you know exactly what you have

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Not a thing wrong with that but that 1 year of work (if you had to pay someone for it) would probably be something like another $10-15,000.

And you can buy a helofa boat for $16,000-21,000 where you know exactly what you have
I totally agree. That was 1 full year were i did absolultly nothing but went to work come home work on boat. Weekends i worked on the boat. You really need to be dedicated. The worst part of the hole job is grinding fiberglass. ITS HELL. So free isnt always Free lol but could be a great learning experince. If youve got the time money and dedication.

Last edited: