5.0 question

Doneysitdown

Seaman Apprentice
I have the opportunity to purchase a searay Seville with a 5.0 in it. It's mid 80s vintage boat. Question is about the 5.0. How were those engines built and if they had some known problem areas. Also I don't know the hours on it either. Just wondering what the boating world had to say. Thanks guys

alldodge

Staff member
Tothing wrong with the 5.0, only issue to speak of is that had about the same HP as the newer V6. Solid motor if taken care of

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Ford based or GM based 5.0? Both are good motors from a reliability standpoints. Ford has been out of the boating biz since 2000ish. (with the caveat that they are now adapting the 6.2L Raptor motor in new ski boats). As was posted already HP would be in the high 100's to the low 200's. Depending on make, there might still be some parts/support available?! Ford...not so much?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Ford based or GM based 5.0? Both are good motors from a reliability standpoints. Ford has been out of the boating biz since 2000ish. (with the caveat that they are now adapting the 6.2L Raptor motor in new ski boats). As was posted already HP would be in the high 100's to the low 200's. Depending on make, there might still be some parts/support available?! Ford...not so much?

Good catch on that, baja. I'd avoid the Ford because of potential issues with parts availability. Easiest way to tell Ford form GM is by the placement of the distributor. Ford put it at the front of the motor, GM at the rear.

thumpar

Admiral
If it is a Ford with a Mercruiser it was last made in the 70's. If is GM it is just a small block that has been made for years.