Question about Houseboat engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknelson

Recruit
My wife and i are looking at used houseboats. We have rented them on Lake Cumberland several times over the past few years and really enjoy it. We are not rich though and will be looking at some older boats and not that large. I am currently talking to the owner of a 14' X 47' Harbor Master. I know that my question is premature because I haven't even looked at the boat in person yet but it's about a 6 hour drive one way and I thought that maybe I could at least get some opinions before doing so. This is a Harbor Master boat and seems to be pretty well built. It is a 1980 model but you wouldn't know it by looking as it really is in fantastic cosmetic condition. I realize though that some people care more about the cosmetics than they do the drivetrains. The boat has twin 454 engines. I have no idea if they are Mercruiser, Crusaders, or what. I do know though that they have just over 1200 hours on them and that concerns me. Of course I will have them surveyed if I decide to take it to that step but assuming that the engines have never been rebuilt, am I correct in feeling that even if they have been properly maintained that they will need work probably in the near future? If that is the case, what kind of money am I looking at? $3,000 - $5,000 or is it even more than that? I am fairly mechanical in that I have done a couple of auto type engine swaps, my own tuneups, clutch changes, etc. I've rebuilt a few carbs in my day. Small things. But if it came down to an engine rebuild, that is out of my league.

alldodge

Staff member
The Harbor Master was a very well built boat in its day. Real solid build and if taken care of will last. The issue that I see as the main point is the hull. boats last a long time with the hull taken care of, but the ull in most cases gets over looked often. The other issue is it cost to have the boat pulled out and looked over.

As someone in your area of looking, there are very few good folks which do a good job dealing with the bottom. Most slap paint on and it looks good, the stuff that counts only the fish see "so I hear often".

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
At 1200 hours, the motors are probably just getting broke in. Seriously If they were properly maintained, you should get another 1200-2500 hours out of them

The issue will be the hull, and specifically the transom area

lasvegaschef

Cadet
My wife and i are looking at used houseboats. We have rented them on Lake Cumberland several times over the past few years and really enjoy it. We are not rich though and will be looking at some older boats and not that large. I am currently talking to the owner of a 14' X 47' Harbor Master. I know that my question is premature because I haven't even looked at the boat in person yet but it's about a 6 hour drive one way and I thought that maybe I could at least get some opinions before doing so. This is a Harbor Master boat and seems to be pretty well built. It is a 1980 model but you wouldn't know it by looking as it really is in fantastic cosmetic condition. I realize though that some people care more about the cosmetics than they do the drivetrains. The boat has twin 454 engines. I have no idea if they are Mercruiser, Crusaders, or what. I do know though that they have just over 1200 hours on them and that concerns me. Of course I will have them surveyed if I decide to take it to that step but assuming that the engines have never been rebuilt, am I correct in feeling that even if they have been properly maintained that they will need work probably in the near future? If that is the case, what kind of money am I looking at? $3,000 - $5,000 or is it even more than that? I am fairly mechanical in that I have done a couple of auto type engine swaps, my own tuneups, clutch changes, etc. I've rebuilt a few carbs in my day. Small things. But if it came down to an engine rebuild, that is out of my league.
following as a new boat shopper currently looking at an older Three Bouy 44ft houseboat on Lake Mead any information I can dig up would be very usefull

tpenfield

Staff member
Please refrain from posting to threads that have been dormant for 90+ days as per forum rules. The OP has not been on the forum since 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.