Bravo 3 over serviced?

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
i just opened the upper oil servicing port on my new-to-me bravo 3 drive, and gear oil came spewing out under pressure! It made a farting noise as I pulled the plug due to the high pressure.

Was my drive grossly over serviced? Filling a B3 drive is the same as an alpha one, right? Shouldn't the gear oil be filled to the top hole, but not above?

I haven't run the boat in a week, so it wasn't heat pressure escaping.

Alumarine

Captain
How much oil came out?
A well sealed drive will sometimes hold pressure.
Some people like to add a few pumps of oil after they fill the drive and put the top plug in.
In any case I'm sure it will be fine. The seals are obviously ok...

Last edited:

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd say a half pint came out.

At any rate, I might be a bonehead. What I thought was the power steering resivoir is actually a drive oil resivoir mounted to the engine. The PS resivoir is below it.

I'm trying to read up on servicing procedures with the engine mounted resivoir.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy,

Sounds like the hose/connections from the transom to the drive lube monitor are blocked. As the drive heats up and cools, the oil should flow to and from the engine mounted reservoir a bit.

tpenfield

Staff member
If your outdrive farted, like most things, it was probably due to a build up of gas/air. :D As stated, if the reservoir line becomes clogged (or the ball valve at the bell housing is defective, then any air trapped in the outdrive has nowhere to go.

Properly filling the outdrive to avoid air pockets also helps. . . The procedure is to fill the outdrive to the top hole (which purges most of the air) THEN replace the top plug and keep filling the outdrive (from the bottom hole) to completely fill the outdrive and push the oil up into the reservoir in the engine compartment. So, the outdrive will be 110% full.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
The procedure is to fill the outdrive to the top hole (which purges most of the air) THEN replace the top plug and keep filling the outdrive (from the bottom hole) to completely fill the outdrive and push the oil up into the reservoir in the engine compartment. So, the outdrive will be 110% full.
EXACTLY how I do mine!

I have noticed that Mercury HP drive lube (syn) appears to "precipitate" some sort of "wax" that always appears at the bottom of the bottle and also in the drive lube monitor.

I wonder if that "wax" (which probably melts/mixes when teh drive oil gets hot) might clog the monitor hoses/fittings/check valve?

Since I switched to another oil, I haven't noticed any sort of "precipitate"

MI_Pirate

Seaman Apprentice
EXACTLY how I do mine!

I have noticed that Mercury HP drive lube (syn) appears to "precipitate" some sort of "wax" that always appears at the bottom of the bottle and also in the drive lube monitor.

I wonder if that "wax" (which probably melts/mixes when teh drive oil gets hot) might clog the monitor hoses/fittings/check valve?

Since I switched to another oil, I haven't noticed any sort of "precipitate"

You know.... I noticed that at the end of last season. I check all of the fluids at least once a week during the season, and the last week of October, I saw this wax that you speak of. I thought that maybe some water had gotten into it. When I changed the drive lube a couple of weeks ago, I had to remove the reservoir and clean it out with gasoline to get it clean.

From not on, I'm going to change it as soon as it stops looking blue/green...

BTW - Has anyone else noticed that with gas at $2.20 a gallon, it is actually cheaper to use for cleaning parts than the "parts cleaning fluid" sold in stores? That stuff is about $4 a quart...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
BTW - Has anyone else noticed that with gas at $2.20 a gallon, it is actually cheaper to use for cleaning parts than the "parts cleaning fluid" sold in stores? That stuff is about $4 a quart...
Mercruiser recomends changing the drive oil once a year in the fall right before winter layup..........

Gasoline does work as a degreasing fluid but it is way too dangerous for that.

Kerosene works as good and does not produce a flammable vapor. If you live near a small airport that has Jet fuel, take a 5 gallon can and buy some. Depending on where you go, You'll get it for about $3.50 per gallon. It makes great cleaning solvent..... It's all I use in my parts washer.

Take a big funnel with you. The filler nozzle will not fit in any can opening.

Cheers,

Rick

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used the fill procedure Tpenfield mentioned, and I refilled the system. The engine mounted bottle filled appropriately.

That all went well, so I spent the afternoon installing a second battery and a kill switch too!