Help decoding what seller is describing??

jotisbrown

Seaman Apprentice
So I'm in the market for a used boat to run around in and found a pretty little 85 sunbird 175 with a 120 2.5 merc I/o. It looks clean for what it is, but the owner mentioned some things I'm not familiar with, can you guys help decoding the following? "the shift cable and rubber boot (where cable comes into the boat) are wearing need to be replaced. A small amount of water gets in the boat where the boot is worn"

What???

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
With the bellows worn out it will go from a "little" bit of water in the boat to a "lot" of water in the boat soon.

jotisbrown

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Hi there, looks like he saying one of the shift cable bellows may have a small tare/rip/hole in it and the bellows needs to be replaced.

This video should help give you the visual of what area to look at, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeFw2_jjAIA

AWESOME video, that guy does an excellent job at describing whats going on. I guess I wont know until I see the boat in person but I cant imagine those shift cables bellows are very expensive. And replacing them looks simple enough. Pics of the boat Im looking at...

Attachments

• photo243418.jpg
    photo243418.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo243419.jpg
    photo243419.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo243420.jpg
    photo243420.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo243436.jpg
    photo243436.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 0

jotisbrown

Seaman Apprentice
I called a shop in town and they can replace all the bellows for 400!!! Anything else I should look for while it's opened up. I'm sure the shop will let me know if anything is wrong in there!

Alumarine

Captain
They should and probably will look at the U Joints and Gimbal bearing while they have the drive off.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Looks pretty clean overall. I would suggest checking the floor for signs of rot - soft spongy areas. Same with the transom - at the very least, knock on it with the handle of a screwdriver or something similar and see if any area sounds "different" or hollow.

On an unrelated note - I've never seen a five bladed prop on a Mercruiser like that!

jotisbrown

Seaman Apprentice
Yea I dunno about that 5 blade! It comes with a 3 blade as well sooooo I guess we will see Saturday. I mean I guess it's good the seller was up front about the shift boot leaking like that.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I myself would find a different boat.......The dealership I worked at years ago sold Sunbird and they where just thrown together, the stringers were 2x4 untreated pine and not encased in fiberglass, just glass strap to hold it in place..like riding in a drum....JMO

Last edited:

jotisbrown

Seaman Apprentice
Totally understand, I just want to get in a boat! Im currently selling my two stand up jet skis... This Sunbird was such a good deal that I could purchase it before I even sold the skis... So thats what had me excited. But Im also looking at a Hammond and a Manta Ray. Both boats are more $$$ though and will require me to sell the skis before buying. No free lunches I guess...

Bondo

Staff member
I myself would find a different boat.......The dealership I worked at years ago sold Sunbird and they where just thrown together, the stringers were 2x4 untreated pine and not encased in fiberglass, just glass strap to hold it in place..like riding in a drum....JMO

Ayuh,.... The ones I've seen brought the same reaction from me,....

I thought they make a bayliner capri look like a quality built hull,......

jotisbrown

Seaman Apprentice
Yea I am going to pass on it. The seller is being weird, never a good sign. Found some other boats I REALLY REALLY like but Im going to have to sell my old stand up jet skis before I will be able to buy them... Found an old Hammond: