Which Grease?

upstech76

Cadet
What grease is recommended to grease a Mercruiser Sterndrive and how much should be put in? I've seen conversation about compatibility but I'm not sure what was used in the past as I recently purchased the boat. Any recommendations?

alldodge

Staff member
My opinion, don't use molly or Teflon based grease in U joint or gimbal bearings. The reason is these are good lubes but very slick. Being slick it can keep needle, roller and ball bearings from rolling. If they don't roll you can get flat spots. Recommend using a marine lithium based grease

thumpar

Admiral
Grab a factory manual. It tells you exactly what grease to use where.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
There's a recent thread on this subject. Merc has come out with a new grease that seems to be designed for just abut every 'greasable' part of an outdrive..

MerCrusier Quicksilver High Performance Extreme Grease Lube - Part Number: 92-8M0071841

Now, If you're talking about GEAR LUBE, just follow Merc's recommendation. Some like high-performance synthetic. I use the 'standard' Merc/Quicksilver lube available at WalMart.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I use Lucas Marine wheel bearing grease for the gimble bearing and the u-joints, and OMC/Bombardier triple guard grease for the driveshaft splines. The triple guard will stick to stuff better than any grease I've tried and not wash out but its not for roller bearings like gimble or wheel bearings.

As far as drive gear oil, I use the Mercruiser High Performance gear lube, its one of the best there is. Very low wear over 10+ seasons of use.

Last edited: