Starting winterized inboard/outboard-out of water

KA23

Cadet
I have my 21' Maxum with a Mercruiser V8 stored on a trailer in a storage yard. I had it winterized in November and now want to fire it up. I want to bring it home and charge the batteries and then start it while hooked up to the hose to make sure everything functions prior to launching it. Has anyone started their boat out of the water after the winterization and if so how much smoke and for how long does it smoke once it's started? Or am I better off launching it after charging the batteries to muffle the smoke a little. Trying to be convenient while maintaining neighborly relations! LOL!

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
A Mercruiser v8 is a 4 stroke, unlike some outboards that are 2 stroke. A 2 stroke will smoke, but your motor should not smoke at all, unless there are some engine problems.

thumpar

Admiral
I have always started mine out of the water. My carbed 2.5l would smoke a little at the first startup but normal. I would not recommend doing it in the water for the first startup. When you are at home you have more resources if something is not right. I start my boat on the trailer before every trip out to make sure things are right. I have been at the ramp with issues. You don't want to be the guy that puts your boat in and then has to yank it back out if it doesn't work.

Alumarine

Captain
Depending how how much if any fogging oil they used there might be a cloud of smoke for maybe 10 seconds.
It's not that loud at a high idle out of the water.

I personally like the sound :D

Bondo

Staff member
I had it winterized in November

Ayuh,..... How was it winterized,..??

If drained, 'n stored dry, there should be little or no smoke, though they are abit loud out of the water,.....

If it was winterized wet, with antifreeze, start it at home 1st,.....

I'd rather see the antifreeze run down yer driveway, than into the water We fish in,.....

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Check your engine oil first. Run it on muffs in your driveway. Look around the engine to make sure there are no water hoses/connections leaking. Make sure your garden hose is hooked up tightly to the muffs and your garden hose is on full. when you start it, make sure water is flowing out of the stern drive. Don't rev the engine. Idle it or just above idle. It won't be too loud. My 4.3L is not very loud. Not annoying at all. It's not like a car with open headers. Don't worry.

thumpar

Admiral
Good point on the oil. Don't be worried if the water doesn't come out right away. It takes a little time to fill the block. On mine it is usually about 30-45 seconds. While you have it running check the bilge for anything leaking.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If they fogged it you will get a cloud of smoke on the first start up. But first as others noted check things out. Motor oil,drive oil, make sure the drain plugs and hose clamps are tight. Id also check and clean battery cables. Lastly Id (with the prop removed for safety) make sure the drive shifts well from Neutral to fwd and neutral to rev. Grease the prop shaft and re install.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
While most will not bother, if the engine was stored dry I like to:
Fill the msnifolds with water.
Fill the block with water by disconnecting the big hose from the front water pump at the top end; fill it till water comes out the thermo housing neck. Re connect that hose.
Then hook up the muffs. Before turning on the water I disconnect the raw water intake hose at the thermo housing and fill it with water till its full. Then reconnect it. Then turn on the water to the muffs. This will speed up getting water flow through the engine and helps the impeller prime faster. No dry start.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
No need to fill anything with water. If you run the engine on muffs, the water will be hitting the impeller in less than a couple seconds if the impeller is on the front of the engine, even less if the impeller is in the drive.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
No need to fill anything with water. If you run the engine on muffs, the water will be hitting the impeller in less than a couple seconds if the impeller is on the front of the engine, even less if the impeller is in the drive.

+1. start with muffs, prefer muffs that supply water to both sides of drive.. dropping it in water/lake, where ever for first start up unwise.. if problem, can sort it out at home= first start at home....then u know your good when u drag and drop

thumpar

Admiral
I have never seen muffs that were 1 sided. If they were water would just run out the other side.

Last edited:

tango13

Seaman
muffs for sure. I just started mine up last week in the driveway, I wanted to be sure all my brass drain plugs were properly sealed after i winterized in the fall, plus like it was stated above, it really sucks to be that guy at the boat launch with a no-go