Clean Water Flush / Anti Freeze Quick Valve

Chuck08

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have or has anyone heard of this type of setup? Basically, I know I'm going to be travelling with my boat and with some of the more recent water contamination issues here in Ohio I want to clean the boat after and before each use. I have heard it mentioned to spray off the hull and trailer, but what about the water that's in the cooling system? I did a little digging for saltwater flushing and found a plumbing setup to run clean water through the system without earmuffs. I can also see how this could really help with winterizing in the fall or between cold weather trips.

so the gist of the system it to install a T fitting into the intake line and have a valve on each line. One connects to the line from the outdrive, the opposite attaches toward the engine, and the other would go to a hose connect / cleaner reservoir / antifreeze tub.

Under normal opperation, only the lines from the outdrive to the engine will be open. To flush the system the reservoir valve would need to be opened and the intake would be closed. Then when the motor is flushed the engine, and valve, are shut off, and the valve to the outdrive is opened to clear the intake.

I Can also see this working as an emergency bilge pump, with an intake in the bilge.

_1686097_orig.gif

http://www.quickflushvalve.com/uploads/8/4/6/7/8467152/_1686097_orig.gif

alldodge

Staff member
So long as you don't have an impeller in the drive this would work for some light but not full flushing.

Issues:
Not going to flush all of what's in the motor, only way to get it all out is to drain. The thermostat only opens for a few seconds if that at idle. Will take quite a while to exchange all in the block.

Same with winterization, by running the motor with antifreeze most will go right out the exhaust, need to drain first.

If there is an impeller in the drive it will burn up in seconds without water going thru it

If you want to flush a little of the motor, just hook up the muffs, but don't winterize this way

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Ditto what AD says,..... Whatcha got for motor, 'n drive,.??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you want to simply flush, look into a superflush SF-400 http://www.superflushsales.com/sf-400.html. I used a few over the years, and they work great, and work with ANY, and I mean ANY drive setup.

If your thinking of sucking up anti-freeze for a quick way to winterize, first let me get you into a contract with Bondo, AD, and myself to sell you replacement motors since that is a guaranteed way to have a block freeze as AD pointed out.