Bent skeg and chipped prop..

hertel11

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, I've been searching for recommendations on what to do about bent skegs and chipped propellers but it seems that each case is different. I hit some shallow rocks at a slow speed and got slight damage to my skeg and propeller. I wanted some opinions of what needs to be done IMMEDIATELY and what can wait. I'm taking this boat on a 4 day trip to lake Cumberland starting tomorrow so my timing was not very good. Haven't ran it really since this happened so I'm unsure if steering or motor vibrations are affected yet. I don't think the damage is that bad but I want some more opinions. Pictures are attached.

Attachments

• photo241086.jpg
    photo241086.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo241087.jpg
    photo241087.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo241088.jpg
    photo241088.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 0
  • photo241089.jpg
    photo241089.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 0

oldjeep

Admiral
Replace/repair the prop right away - if you don't have a spare then do both. Skeg may work as is. Choices for repair are try to bend it back, take lower unit in for repair or chop bent part of it off and install skeggard. I'd try it as is and then move to bending yourself as a next step.

Last edited:

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i have a spare lower unit that I picked up last year and it had a bend like that - i just put it in the vice and gently cranked on it - took a few dozen light adjustments. you could put wood in between if you don't want to nick it up.

oldjeep

Admiral
I would take a file to the prop edges and go fishing.

Vibration drives me nuts, but I guess you could do that;). Be better to at least be prepared with a spare, it is a trip saver when you really fold one up.

thumpar

Admiral
Go to a prop shop. They can fix it and is cheaper than you would expect.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Go buy a new prop and have that repaired when you get back.

Using a prop like that is bad for your drive's bearings. It needs to be repaired and re balanced.

Do you not own a spare prop?

Last edited:

hertel11

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought this boat about 2 weeks ago.. It did come with a spare prop but I'll have to check and see if it is for this motor or for the kicker motor. Also, changing out the prop will be a first for me so do you have any suggestions or hints for doing that?

Changing a prop is easy. Bend the cotter pin straight so that you can pull it out. Then turn the castle nut counter-clockwise and remove along with the plate. The prop should now slide off. I usually put some marine (bearing grease) on the prop shaft when I slide the replacement on. Put the plate back on, twist on the castle nut, push the cotter pin through and bend the long leg so that the pin can't pull out during use.

All of that said, I've seen much worse props in my life. I trust bruceb58, but would still like to know how that minimal damage is going to hurt his bearings. As I understand it (and could be wrong) all that you are losing is speed when your prop is dinged up like that. I would just switch props and take the dinged up with me on the trip as a spare in case you do something worse to the backup. I'd also check the markings on the props to see if they are different pitches. Many boaters, including myself, have props for different purposes. My stock prop gives me the best top end speed but struggles to get the boat on plane when I've got lots of people and gear on board. My other prop drops down in pitch to give me better hole shot. Your backup may also be different.

The skeg is what concerns me the most. It may cause the boat to want to turn. Of course, the worst case scenario is that it will pull more than usual on this trip. I would take it in after this next trip to have someone else correct it. I'm not a fan of bending metal back because it tends weakens it further. An example is the pop top on a beer can. Bend it once to open the can and it's still strong enough to hold in place. Bend it again and it pops off.

Last edited:
Take a file to the prop also get a spare for instances like this or worse. As for the skeg might pull one way or other but I doubt it will.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
i have a spare lower unit that I picked up last year and it had a bend like that - i just put it in the vice and gently cranked on it - took a few dozen light adjustments. you could put wood in between if you don't want to nick it up.

Just curious, did you use heat to bend it back? or not heated?

robert graham

Admiral
I've seen a LOT worse....run it some to check for vibration....you may be good for a while but a new prop is in order....keep your old dinged up prop for a spare...