Inline Chevy v6 mercruiser (around mid 80s) and Prealpha outdrive for $500?

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
I found an internet sale of an old boat, mid 80's with a trailer. The boat's hull is garbage and goes to the dumpster, the trailer is also older one no title. however the engine was just rebuild, new everything, pistons, valve job, rebored cylinders. Whole 9 yards. Everything is nice and clean. Outdrive was sitting in the boat for several years, but looks pretty decent, also cant say anything about hydrolics or the trim motor. the asking price is $500. Is it worth spending this money on a nice engine and possibly working outdruive +$50 for the landfill dumping fee? Also I assume I'd have to remove the gas tank and all the hoses as well.
Thank you.

Bondo

Staff member
[h=2]Inline Chevy v6 mercruiser (around mid 80s) and Prealpha outdrive[/h]

Ayuh,.... The In-line 6s were dropped Before 1980,.....

If ya have use for it, it might be a good deal,....

If ya don't need it, why buy it,..??

If it's a V6, it might be the short lived little V6, which ain't worth a tinker's dam,....

dlogvine

Thx, I was trying to find if this engine could be used on the other boats. Looks like it is not a common model, newer v6 I saw were not inline engines

flipbro

My concern is why would someone rebuild a engine and put it in a scrap hull? Red flag..

southkogs

Staff member
That's the 250 I6 I had with my OMC probably. 165HP. It's a great engine if your boat is rigged for it.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
The engine I saw was pre 1980 inline v6. It has all 6 cylinders sitting in one line, wish I made a pic of it

No need for a pic. You just need to understand the terminology. An engine with all 6 cylinders sitting straight up ( 0 degrees) from the crankshaft, is an inline 6. Period.

A six cylinder engine with 3 cylinders on each side of the block is a V-6, because the 2 cylinder banks (3 cylinders in each bank) are arranged at an angle to each other, with the crankshaft at the bottom of the V.

There's no such thing as an 'inline, V engine'. It's either one or the other.

My .02

Last edited:

dlogvine

I realized too late that i typed V6, my bad, the engine was I6, older inline 6cyl engine, discontinued in late 1980s.