1989 Mercrusier Throttle/Shifter Control Mounting

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Iboaters! It's been a while. I Have an 89 model Larson DC 170 bowrider. The throttle/shifter had became a bit "floppy" due to the rotting wood in which it was mounted. I decided to remove the throttle and remove/replace that portion of the interior wood ( starboard side ). Upon removal I noticed the plywood had been stapled together, no biggy as I imagine thats a common occurance in boat building but.....here's the issue/question. The plywood in the area of the throttle/shifter was 3/8's inch thick, the remaining plywood was 1/2 thick......is there a requirement for 3/8's inch thickness for the throttle? Or is this just a non wastefull use of boat building materials when the boat was built? I didn't want to install 1/2 inch plywood ( which I have plenty of ) if there was a requirement for 3/8's inch and then have to re-do the thing..lol Thanks for some guidence here. Got tired of trying Google.

alldodge

Staff member
Cannot say for sure but many times thinner wood is used due to clearance. Could be if thicker wood is used there would either be interference or bolts or shaft would not be long enough. Just a guess

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cannot say for sure but many times thinner wood is used due to clearance. Could be if thicker wood is used there would either be interference or bolts or shaft would not be long enough. Just a guess
Thanks AllDogde, I'm thinking the same.....just wishing I could find installation requirements and know for sure. Once I get it figured out, I will post my findings as I'm sure someone....down the road may have the same question as well.