best muffs

boatman37

Lieutenant
so need to buy a set of engine muffs. i see a few different types. any one better than the other? its a merc 260 alpha 1 gen 1 if that makes any difference. i see some that have the 'zip' thing through the center to hold it in place. i guess my main concern is them slipping off when i'm not looking

thumpar

Admiral
They all work the same in the end. I just use the cheapy round ones. I have had them for about 10 years now but may have to replace them this year because the rubber is getting hard. I figure for 10 years at $5 it is a pretty good deal. Since my son is old enough now I usually have him start the boat while I watch for water to come out of the engine. Once it is started they will not slip off.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
No Title

I got a pair of these and they work great. The rectangular muff covers the holes on a Gen II and they are very secure.

Attachments

• photo239719.jpg
    photo239719.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1

thumpar

Admiral
You don't need the rectangular ones to cover the intakes. I have used the round ones on both my Alpha and Bravo.

Bondo

Staff member
You don't need the rectangular ones to cover the intakes. I have used the round ones on both my Alpha and Bravo.

Ayuh,.... I bought a set of the plain ole round ones, years ago,....

Got 5 or 6 pair now, as they're always gettin' tossed into the dumpster when the plastic water fittin' breaks,....

I did 'em out, 'n replace the broken piece with a plain ole hose repair part from the local hardware store,....

I've never had a problem on Alphas, nor Bravos usin' 'em,....

Alumarine

Captain
I like to put a hose end valve on the hose going into the muffs.
It saves a lot of running back to the tap.
The plastic ones are inexpensive.

zC3x62y.jpg

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just a suggestion but I made up short hose with a ball valve in the middle long enough to reach the drive/muffs and be able to hang the valve on my stern cleat (or whatever you can ) and then hook to the garden hose.I made out of mine brass fittings (free) but Home Depot should have pvc ball valves and all the fittings. It's nice not jumping in and out of the boat to turn off the water.

boatman37

Lieutenant
good idea there. i like it as my kids are grown and often aren't here. that and a 25' CC isn't that easy to get in and out of when its on a trailer

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Just a suggestion but I made up short hose with a ball valve in the middle long enough to reach the drive/muffs and be able to hang the valve on my stern cleat (or whatever you can ) and then hook to the garden hose.I made out of mine brass fittings (free) but Home Depot should have pvc ball valves and all the fittings. It's nice not jumping in and out of the boat to turn off the water.

That's a great idea. I have a ball valve on mine, but it requires hopping in and out of the boat to turn it on or off. I like the idea of adding a short piece of hose to get the valve where I could reach it from inside the boat.

Alumarine

Captain

Good idea.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

You da man! Why didn't I think of that? I have to climb up and down from the flybridge!

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Went to climb out of my boat last fall and fell 3.5 feet straight on my ass. On the way down I'm thinking my 3 year old is not going to be able to help me if I get hurt bad.Just a nice bruise luckily.

thumpar

Admiral
Went to climb out of my boat last fall and fell 3.5 feet straight on my ***. On the way down I'm thinking my 3 year old is not going to be able to help me if I get hurt bad.Just a nice bruise luckily.
I bought a 3 step stepstool at Costco that helps me. It is the perfect height to step up the the swim platform. I will need to pick up one of those valves so I can control the water while on the boat.

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm glad to hear the ball valve suggestion helped a couple people out!
It always feel good to contribute something back to a forum that helped me sooooo much throughout the years

Last edited:

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm glad to hear the ball valve suggestion helped a couple people out!
It always feel good to contribute something back to a forum that helped me sooooo much throughout the years

I put one together after your post. Makes life a lot easier not getting in and out to walk to turn off the hose. Thanks.

boatman37

Lieutenant
bought the muffs the other day. went with the ones posted with the center feed and the square cups. about $25 at my local marina. boat comes home thursday