stupid question time

hondapapa

Seaman Apprentice
Its cheating when you answer a question with a question. What is the answer?

jbcurt00

Staff member
I think Joe was completing your question.... Ya probably left the word same out....

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Very few differences in the core block operations. The differences in marine vs. automotive lay mostly in the "absolute NO SPARK" concept as well as the anti-corrosive components.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Most all boat motors, like car, 'n truck motors, are left handed,....

Right handed motors went away years ago, reverse rotation is now done in the drives, or transmissions,....

thumpar

Admiral
Its cheating when you answer a question with a question. What is the answer?
The question doesn't make as it is. You left out a word. I am guessing that you wanted to know if they turn in the same direction. The answer to that would be yes unless it is a counter rotating motor. Those are not real common and usually only used on older twin engine setups.

hondapapa

Seaman Apprentice
Ok guys sorry I did not catch my mistake.Thanks for the answers. A ford mechanic told me that and I decided to ask the people that would know. So I can install a chevy 3.0 4cylinder block to replace a 3.0 omc.

thumpar

Admiral
Ok guys sorry I did not catch my mistake.Thanks for the answers. A ford mechanic told me that and I decided to ask the people that would know. So I can install a chevy 3.0 4cylinder block to replace a 3.0 omc.
There was never a 3.0l installed in a vehicle that is the same as the one in boats.

thumpar

Admiral
You could use a Merc or Volvo 3.0l. You would just need to use the OMC externals.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah sorry you can tell when I'm on my tablet versus laptop. Short answers.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
GM made the 3.0 liter in Mexico as an industrial motor/marine motor only.

from GM, Mercruiser, Volvo-Penta, and OMC bought the longblock, added their marinization to it (marine intake/exhaust, marine ignition, marine starter, engine mounts, etc.)

there are two generations of 3.0. 1990 and older, 1991 and newer. the motors are interchangeable.

there are plenty of 3.0 motors available used in junk hulls for cheap.

Maclin

Admiral
Always best to analyze the engine you have first, may not be totally unuseable Then look for a block if the machinists says no go with what you have.

hondapapa

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys So Scott you are saying a 1980s block is the same as a 1990s block ?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks guys So Scott you are saying a 1980s block is the same as a 1990s block ?

I'm saying the 1990 and older are same and 1991 and later are same. In 1991, the motor went to a 1 piece rear main seal.

hondapapa

Seaman Apprentice
ok thanks I found a 1990 motor . But mine is a 1995. Thanks so much for putting up with me just trying to learn. I have 2 out boards . This is my first inboard.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the motor you found is a 2-piece rear main seal. your current motor is a one-piece rear main seal. I would keep looking until you get a 1991 or later.