What's this?

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys, boat is a 2003 maxum 1900sr with 4.3 carbed mercruiser. Saw some cold temperatures for the next few days so decided to let the water out of the engine. Noticed next to the starboard side drain plug, something was welded over, what can it be?

Attachments

• photo239627.png
    photo239627.png
    922.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo239628.png
    photo239628.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • photo239629.png
    photo239629.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Fun Times

Staff member
That is an extra unneeded plugged up hole for an oil dipstick tube that wasn't used for your particular engine application.
While this guy in the video just installed a plug, yours appears to be well plugged with some sort JB Weld added on.
http://www.ehow.com/video_2327501_plug-unused-dipstick-holes-engine.html

Your dipstick tube should (or may) be running down to the oil pan vs the engine block.

PS, We'll be moving your engine topic on down to the Non-Repair I/O and Inboards Discussions not involving troubles or repair. Sponsored by Bel-Ray Sub-forum for you.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
That is an extra unneeded plugged up hole for an oil dipstick tube that wasn't used for your particular engine application.
While this guy in the video just installed a plug, yours appears to be well plugged with some sort JB Weld added on.
http://www.ehow.com/video_2327501_plug-unused-dipstick-holes-engine.html

Your dipstick tube should (or may) be running down to the oil pan vs the engine block.

PS, We'll be moving your engine topic on down to the Non-Repair I/O and Inboards[/URL] Discussions not involving troubles or repair. Sponsored by Bel-Ray Sub-forum for you.

Thank you

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'd be more concerned about that leaking core plug in the second pic!!

R055

Chief Petty Officer
I'd be more concerned about that leaking core plug in the second pic!!

Should I replace the core plug?, seems to be an extremely slow leak that can't be seen if you watch the plug when it's closed.

Fun Times

Staff member
Should I replace the core plug?, seems to be an extremely slow leak that can't be seen if you watch the plug when it's closed.
Isn't that where your engine block drain plug goes/screws into that you just removed? If so, it appears to possibly be old surface rust from past draining's. If you don't see it leaking while running the engine then you should be alright. But there should be some thread sealant on the drain plug/s threads for better measure.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Sorry R055 I was looking at the pic on my phone. Fun times is absolutely correct..