Do I really need all these different types of grease/lubricants?

Jodahl

Recruit
Hi,

I am doing mantenance on my engine and stern drive by my self for the first time. According to the owners manual I need Special lubricant 101, U-joint and gimbal bearing grease, engine coupler spline grease and 2-4-C marine lubricant. Do I really need all of these or can I use only one lubricant and one type of grease?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Yep... each lubricant has different properties needed for the place you are putting it.

You don't put ATF transmission fluid in your car engine and you don't put 90 wt differential oil in the transmission.

Last edited:

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you choose just one,use the gimbal and ujoint grease.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
I have two inexpensive grease guns, one with gimbal bearing and u joint for the driveshaft splines, gimbal bearing and u-joints and one with 2-4-C for the prop shaft and external bell housing and gimbal ring fittings.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Interesting. As one iboater states on here, any type grease is better then no grease at all. And I agree with that too! JMHO!

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Its kind of annoying to "need" 6 to 10 different lubricants for one engine...
And with careful selection of which grease to use you CAN get away with just one grease. (still need the right gear-case oil and engine oil...)

But really, its best to use the specified lubes in the specified places. The engine manufacturer made those specifications for best life expectancy of the engine.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The engine manufacturer uses those specs to sell their branded grease and oil. Match the specs and buy whatever fills the need.

fishrdan

Admiral
I'll throw in to make it even more confusing... I use marine grease for almost everything, and then spline grease for the engine coupler.

Fun Times

Staff member
Well Mercruiser has finally made this a little bit easier to manage as they now recommend one grease as it handles most of the stern drive maintenance. It's called Mercruiser/Quicksilver High Performance extreme grease. P/N 92-8M0071841 for 14 Oz. Other sizes available too.

Quicksilver High Performance Extreme Grease is an excellent replacement option for engine coupler/spline grease, U-Joint/gimbal grease, and anti-corrosion grease. It provides superior rust and corrosion protection over other greases as well as improved wear protection when exposed to high temperatures and loads.Extreme Grease is a calcium-sulfonate based NLGI 2 grease and meets all GCLB requirements. Same formula as Mercury brand Extreme Grease.

Suitible For:
  • Steering Systems & Cable Linkage
  • Throttle Cables & Linkages
  • Shift Cables & Linkages
  • Drive Shaft Splines
  • Gimbal Bearings
  • Suspension Systems
  • Ball Joints
  • U-Joints
  • Disc Brakes & ABS Applications
  • Shift Cables & Linkages
  • Trailer Wheel Bearings
  • Replaces:
    MerCruiser Engine Coupler Spline Grease - part #92-802869Q1
    MerCruiser U-Joint & Gimbal Bearing Lubricant - part #92-802870Q1 & #92-802871Q1
    MerCruiser Anti-Corrosion Grease - part #92-802867Q1
Mercs grease is from (or same as) Bel-Ray's which if interested, iboats also carries the same grease now as seen in the following links,
Extreme Pressure Waterproof Grease, 3 oz. Cartridge - Bel Ray
Extreme Pressure Waterproof Grease, 14 oz. Cartridge - Bel Ray

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I'll throw in to make it even more confusing... I use marine grease for almost everything, and then spline grease for the engine coupler.
I do the same; OMC never had all those different greases and in fact you could service everything on an OMC with just 3 products:
Marine wheel bearing grease (gimble & u joints)
OMC triple guard grease (driveshaft splines)
OMC gasket sealer (bolt threass on the engine and outdrive and certain gaskets)
For marine wheel bearing grease I use Lucas marine (blue) grease...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I use marine grease for almost everything, and then spline grease for the engine coupler.
Mercruiser has specified a "special" grease for coupler to spline contact presumably due the special requirements of the aluminum coupler (inside splines) and the steel splined shaft.

Obviously the "wear" component in question is the aluminum inner splines of the coupler. (the steel splined shaft wouldn't wear nearly as fast as the aluminum coupler inner splines)

If Mercruiser has since developed a newer grease formulation since the original "spline" grease was developed, and they say it's "OK" for everything. I would probably use it everywhere they suggest. Nice thing about petroleum products is that the manufacturers are always improving them!

fishrdan

Admiral
If Mercruiser has since developed a newer grease formulation since the original "spline" grease...

I use the good ol' Mercruiser spline grease, bought a tube years ago and it's still 1/2 full, but your comment got me thinking, and low and behold....

MerCrusier Quicksilver High Performance Extreme Grease Lube - Part Number: 92-8M0071841

Calcium suflonate-based NLGI 2 grease
Excellent rust and corrosion protection
Formulated for high temperature and high load applications
100% compatible with lithium-based greases
Meets GCLB requirements

For use in the following applications:
Steering systems/cable linkage
Throttle and shift cables & linkages
Drive shaft splines
Gimbal bearings
U-joints
Suspension systems
Chassis
Ball joints
Disc brakes and ABS applications
Trailer wheel bearings

Replaces:
MerCruiser Engine Coupler Spline Grease - part #92-802869Q1
MerCruiser U-Joint & Gimbal Bearing Lubricant - part #92-802870Q1 & #92-802871Q1
MerCruiser Anti-Corrosion Grease - part #92-802867Q1

[EDIT: Sorry Fun Times, didn't see that you posted the same thing I did. Should have looked above and saved myself 5 minutes of looking up Mercruiser grease.......]

Last edited:

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have used the same Walmart marine wheel bearing grease on everything for the past 25 years and I use PLENTY of it.Never had an issue with anything lubricated.Never a ujoint issue.Driveshaft goes in and comes out easily at the end of season.I have only replaced gimbal bearing as PM. I use plenty on shaft when installing impeller in outdrive and always comes off easily.Prop shaft,torq flow prop etc. oh yeah...I use it on my wheel bearings too!!

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I tend to agree with Bond-o on this one. I'm guessing the frequency of greasing trumps the specific type on an engine that isn't being pushed to its limits. Then again, I've been using reg gas for 50k miles on my "premium only" Bimmer.

Bondo

Staff member
I tend to agree with Bond-o on this one. I'm guessing the frequency of greasing trumps the specific type on an engine that isn't being pushed to its limits. Then again, I've been using reg gas for 50k miles on my "premium only" Bimmer.

Ayuh,.... I've got 2 regular workin' everyday grease guns, 1 with Napa chassis grease, 'n the other with 2-4-C,....

'n I'd be willin' to give up the one with 2-4-C, if I had too,....

Last edited:

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Iv just been using the red lithium grease from
Autozone on every thing. Gimbel , wheel bearing, drive shaft splines. ECT you name it. Lol. I hope it's doing its job.