Thru hull

Brycelago

Recruit
Okay I have a 1979 century Arabian with a 350 sbc and I want thru hull but I'm a little confused...is all all I need exhaust hose clamps and tips? I know I'm gonna have to cap off my old y pipe but am I still gonna be able to use my risers? And if so could somebody point me in the right direction as far as parts

thumpar

Admiral
What drive do you have? You will want to cap the inlet on the transom. The if you go full thru hull you would want to remove the y pipe. It may be cheaper and easier to go captains call. You may find you don't like the noise all the time so it is a good alternative and may be cheaper.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
I run thru hull and it gets old quick when just cruising. Im looking into differant tips with turn downs about an inch under water but not sure if that would work.

alldodge

Staff member
Okay I have a 1979 century Arabian with a 350 sbc and I want thru hull but I'm a little confused...is all all I need exhaust hose clamps and tips? I know I'm gonna have to cap off my old y pipe but am I still gonna be able to use my risers? And if so could somebody point me in the right direction as far as parts

Yes you can go the cheap route and cap the Y pipe, drill holes, install tips and run exhaust hose from your risers to the tips.

Being a SBC you will exhaust hose, tips and caps for your Y pipe. The hose clamps removed can be reused with the new hose. Make real sure you drill the holes in the right spots, exhaust hose doesn't bend, and don't use the flexible exhaust hose.

Edit: For turn downs to be effective at idle they should be 6 to 8 inches under water. Once the boat comes up on plane they are just about as loud. Muffler tips help

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yes you can go the cheap route and cap the Y pipe, drill holes, install tips and run exhaust hose from your risers to the tips.

Being a SBC you will exhaust hose, tips and caps for your Y pipe. The hose clamps removed can be reused with the new hose. Make real sure you drill the holes in the right spots, exhaust hose doesn't bend, and don't use the flexible exhaust hose.

Edit: For turn downs to be effective at idle they should be 6 to 8 inches under water. Once the boat comes up on plane they are just about as loud. Muffler tips help

louder if you have a 540 putting out 600 hp , right AllDodge? :D

I agree, with thumpar, you will want a selectable exhaust (captains call, captains choice, silent choice, etc.), and most likely some sort of muffler tip. Turndowns work at idle, however on-plane they are nearly as loud as straight exhaust.