Looking For Company That Made A Quick Connect Winterization System For Mercruiser

Rickochet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I few years ago I had a link for a company that made a quick connect winterization system that replaced all of the Mercruiser blue drain plugs with brass fittings with barbs that connected a hose from each of these fittings to a valves. To winterize you just had to open each valve and pump water out and reverse to pump antifreeze back in. I think that the company was in Arkansas. I can no longer find the link for that company. Anyone remember them?

alldodge

Staff member
Never heard of it but Merc has a single point drain system now. Personally not impressed with the single point system

Rickochet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Never heard of it but Merc has a single point drain system now. Personally not impressed with the single point system
I have twin 5.0 EFI 's on my year 2000 houseboat. I recall the Merc. 4 cyl. having the single point drain back in the late 90's but I remember seeing a lot of issues with them. I don't know if the single point system could be retrofitted to my engines. The biggest problem is my old carcass getting to the two blue drain plugs on each side of the block. Old fat man with big fingers in tight quarters is no fun.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
save your block, remove the "single point drain" and go back to petcocks or pipe plugs. the issue with single point drains is that you never get the ability to poke and prod the crud out of the fittings, so after a few years of sediment, all of a sudden something isnt draining and you get freeze damage.

I personally believe there are no shortcuts for a proper job. still only takes an hour to winterize (10 minutes to drain, 40 minutes of fluid changes, 10 minutes cleanup)

wrench 3

Commander
I'm with Scott. I ran into a Bravo a few years back with a single point drain system and had to disconnect everything and rod it out to get all the water out.

Bondo

Staff member
The biggest problem is my old carcass getting to the two blue drain plugs on each side of the block. Old fat man with big fingers in tight quarters is no fun.

Ayuh,..... That's the Perfect excuse to teach the grandkids how to properly winterize a boat motor,.....

I prefer plain ole brass pipe plugs over any, 'n all the other "Systems",....

Ya gotta be able to poke, 'n prod the block's holes,.....
Sediment settles right there, no matter how clean the water ya boat in,....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Agreed those single point drains would never work here.