best way to change oil

netting one

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wondering what guys are using to change oil when the boats in the water? Maybe home made deals or the best to use? there is no way to get to my drain plug so it has to be sucked out. thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most of the time, you use an oil pump and suck up thru the dipstick. however many boats also have an oil drain hose installed as standard that is connected to the garboard plug.

as bruce indicated, what are you working on?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I would avoid the Moeller hand pumps... I have one and it's been nothing but trouble. Not very well made.

I'll be looking at a Jabsco electric pump as a replacement. I've read lots of positive reviews of them.

Regardless of which pump you get, make sure to run the engine for a few minutes before extracting the oil. Warm oil is much easier to pump out that cold, more viscous oil.

netting one

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my boat has a mercrusier 350 engine, has to come out dipstick. no way to get to drain plug at all. thanks so much for all the help. i have seen many many different things.

netting one

Petty Officer 2nd Class
O i thought i would add i have tryed the pump that goes on a drill,no good,and i bought one of the sea dog machines ( smashed it on the concrete floor) i also looked into the unit that goes over the threads on the dip stick,but i have heard they can cause gasket damaged some times so i think down the dipstick it is. i have noticed also some of the pumps have cheap looking plastic pumps and some have brass looking ones? thanks again

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
i also looked into the unit that goes over the threads on the dip stick,but i have heard they can cause gasket damaged some times
LOL...who told you that? Not true at all.

BTW.The drill pumps are horrible.

With any pump, you have to warm up the engine before you pump out the oil.

I have the one like Smoke has. Just a different brand.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would avoid the Moeller hand pumps... I have one and it's been nothing but trouble. Not very well made.
I've found the Moeller vacuum extractor to be extremely useful and easy to operate. For eight years it has never let me down. My engine is Mercruiser and sucks up through the dipstick.
Making sure the oil is warm is critical. Changing the filter with the engine warm is a big pain but putting on a remote filter adapter has made that task much easier for me.

Last edited:

roffey

Commander
I have the same one Rallyart has and it works very well. Pump it up a few time, walk away and when you come back it all pulled out along with the dirt. Works ever better with hot oil, trans oil or gas (never tried gas but it would do the job).

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I've found the Moeller vacuum extractor to be extremely useful and easy to operate. For eight years it has never let me down. My engine is Mercruiser and sucks up through the dipstick.
Making sure the oil is warm is critical. Changing the filter with the engine warm is a big pain but putting on a remote filter adapter has made that task much easier for me.

Reviews like yours are why I bought mine and it worked well the first time or two I used it. Since then, it has not worked well. Parts inside the pump are constantly falling apart and every time I use it, I have to take the thing apart and reassemble the innards. Maybe I just got a dud, but it's a drag to have an afternoon of planned boat work turn into an afternoon of trying to get a stupid oil extractor to work. For only a few more dollars, I could have purchased a Jabsco or similar electric pump.

shrew

Lieutenant
i also looked into the unit that goes over the threads on the dip stick,but i have heard they can cause gasket damaged some times

I can't see how as long as you remove the oil fill cap before you start pumping. I remove the oil fill cap. My remote oil filter sits upside-down so I also punch a hole in the top of the filter to allow the oil to drain out of the filter and remote filter tube. Then pump away. No issues. I use the Jabsco as well. I keep a spare impellor on hand. I've had to replace one.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I can't see how as long as you remove the oil fill cap before you start pumping.
You don't even have to do that. It's not a sealed chamber. If it was, how would any blow by get out?

Last edited: