Which Power trim pump do I need?

chris650

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone. Hopefully one of you guys can point me in the right direction. To make a long story short, last season I replaced my original trim cylinders which were the slender ones, with the newer style larger diameter ones. I used my original pump that was matched with the older style cylinders. The pump worked, but very very slow. So I am in the market to buy the correct one, used of coarse. But most of the ones I am seeing say J1171....and I dont think thats a model number. So am hoping that someone can tell me the correct unit that I need. Thx!

alldodge

Staff member
It always helps a bunch to know what were working on, Merc, VP, OMC etc, and what year

The J1171 is the spec which covers electrical marine equipment.

chris650

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My bad...its a 1978 Mercruiser 260. But the trim cylinders that I put on there are from a 1983. Larger diameter.

alldodge

Staff member
The older Prestolite pump is a low volume pump, and the Oildyne is a high volume pump, so it will work faster. You can replace it with the newer complete Oildyne pump and may need to do a slight bit of rewiring if you currently have the single relay, but if it has two replays it should swap. Could also replace with just the newer pump assembly and keep your current setup but you will need the plastic high volume reservoir, and may need to modify the bracket that holds the pump assembly.