need opinions please

dutch420

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wife and I are looking at a new to us boat ours bit the dust this winter. First boat iS a 1993 20ft Chaparral 1900 bowrider it has the 4.3 Yamaha setup this boat looks extremely well cared for. Second boat is a 1992 17ft Maxum bowrider it has the 3 liter Mercruiser setup it also looks like is been takin care of.I did notice from the pictures the maxum looks like it's been some time sitting at the dock due to the staining on the hUll. In the boats would be me my wife and our two kids plus our gear there would be times where others would be carried with us or abusing / water sports. My question is what is the better all-around boat I know they both have pros and cons I want to hear everyone's opinion thanks everyone

Attachments

• photo237232.jpg
    photo237232.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo237233.jpg
    photo237233.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
I would run from the Yamaha setup. The Merc won't win any races but the 3.0l is a solid engine, has parts available and will last a long time. If it was me I would keep looking. You should be able to find a 18-20' with Merc 4.3l or up to 350 pretty easily. You will enjoy the extra power. The main thing you need to look at is condition.

If it is only between those 2 go with the Maxum.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
is there a 3rd boat? finding parts for yamaha outdrives are like finding new parts for a 1972 AMC Pacer with a levi interior. the 3.0 and Mercruiser outdrive would be my choice if you ONLY have these two boats to choose from. however there are hundreds of thousands of boats that will be for sale in a matter of weeks.

I would personally keep looking.

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, I would look for a third and forth choice, neither of those shown are what I would consider good for the needs you described.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Ya don't want any boat that powered by an I/O Yamaha, or OMC,....

Both are dead, 'n gone, atleast from the North American market,....

Yamaha was only sold here for a couple of years, parts are pretty much non-existent,....

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Neither of them...The Yammy kills the first one and being a Maxum is poor quality built...